Help needed re-wiring a BT junction box

just trying all combinations is going to take a very long time, you need to think about what you're doing, no disrespect.

I can say for an almost fact that one line will be on wh/or and the other one on gr/bl, and if you have only 2 internal wires and two sockets it should be straightforward to work out using a logical process. (especially when you know the pair used is blue and orange on the internal.

you might be making a simple error that a trained eye can spot, but with just your interpretation of what's going on it's actually quite difficult to help.

try this. from the dropwire, put orange1 white2, green3,black4.

now on the other side of the bt78, put orange1 and blue2. note which socket now works, and which line it is on it. tells us and we can help you from there.

Sponsored Links
okay tried that, top row 1-4 as suggested, bottom row using just the wires from 1st installed line I used blue to bottom 1 and orange to bottom 2 this gave me a dialtone and the discontinued line (identified by 1471 and got message "there are no messages for you" and tried to dial another phone it says "the number you entered has not been recognised"

repeated with the 2nd installed line and got the same results dialtone and discontinued line.

removed all wires from the bottom and tried the 2nd installed line using the black to bottom 3 and green to bottom 4 got nothing no dialtone or anything reversed the green and black wires still nothing, same with the 1st line same process same result nothing.

using 1st installed line tried blue to bottom 1 and orange to bottom 3 this gave me the double line connection, dialled 1471 and got message as above and another message playing at the same time saying last call was recieved yesterday at etc etc.

awaiting your next instruction

so we now know orange white is the stopped line.

take the orange white from the dropwire and push it aside, we will not require this.

put green black in top 1 and 2 respectively. and put both blues from the internal wires into bottom 1 and both oranges from the internal wire (NOT THE ORANGE FROM THE DROPWIRE which is what I suspect you did before lol) onto bottom 2.

you should now have the working line present on both sockets

thanks for helping, but done as instructed and there is no dialtone on either line. You seemed so sure I'm wondering if there is a fault on the dropline possibly the Black as nothing works if that is added to any combination.

Sponsored Links
possibly, though it would be a coincidence it develops a fault the same time you started tidying up the bt78. there's a possibility you have broken the green black pair in the neck of the cable.

take hold of each wire individually between finger and thumb and very gently pull as if you were slowly pulling a thread out of a garment, if either one comes away just strip the cable back and reterminate.

if not, there isn't much more you can do without testing equipment.

just a thought but will I need to connect the discontinued line to make the 2nd line connect. as I've removed the wires from the first line completely
If you connect the white wire to 2in the socket try each other wire one at a time in 5 till you get dial tone then ring 17070 and it will tell you what number you are calling from

Still can't get the phone to work, (phone works on Virgin line fine) But with the drop wires along the top row as follows, white in 2, Green in 3, Orange in 5 and black in 6. and the orange and blue from both lines 1st line blue to 2 and orange to 5 and the 2nd lines blue to 3 and orange to 6.

I'm getting the best results so far 1st line I get dialtone and it is the discontinued line (as it should be) and no dialtone on line 2 :( BUT the broadband is now working fine from this line.

So half way there

Your line on the green black is one leg disconnected. I would inspect that pair for damage, failing that, you'll have to call Bt.

from what I can gather, he had 2 lines initially, and since one of them was discontinued, decided he wanted the remaining line on both sockets.

from what I can gather, he had 2 lines initially, and since one of them was discontinued, decided he wanted the remaining line on both sockets.

Close the 2nd line socket was in a better position for using the modem as it gave a better wi-fi to other areas of the house. (a large 4 floored house with solid brick walls) Didn't know until I started this post I could arrange it so they both worked on the same line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back