Connecting phone wiring to outside junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I need some advice on how to wire up a master socket to the outside junction box. The wire I have bought to replace the old one is of different colour so I'm a bit confused. I've opened the master and the colours are Orange A and White B. Outside on the wall main socket coming into the house I've opened and the wiring is Orange A and Blue B. Between these two points there's a black capsual which joins the two wires together. Now the new wire (could be old version - I'm not sure) is blue orange green and brown. What I want to do is connect the outside socket to the master socket via the one new cable. I'm wanting to know which new cable colours I connect to the wiring in the outside box. If anyone can help or if you want me to supply images to assist please let me know. Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Screenshot_20181124-121748.jpg

This is the wire I'm trying to connect. As you can see it's green and black coming in and I need to connect to the new 4 colour wiring you can see

For lots of information click HERE

It looks like you have 4 pair CW1293 cable.

This has 4 twisted pairs. Each pair has a coloured wire twisted with a white wire. ( Four whites )

You need to use the Blue and the White twisted with it

Wiring Colours for CW1293 Internal Telephone Cable
CW1308 is now more commonly used
Pair No.
'A' wire 'B' wire
1 .............White...... Blue
2 .............White ..... Orange
3 .............White...... Green
4 .............White ..... Brown

OK so via 2 new gel connectors which two wires do I connect to the black and green? The blue and orange? Also is this allowed as the green and black wires are coming from the outside bt wire.

Sponsored Links
You need to use the Blue and the White twisted with it

The blue and orange?

NO BLUE and the WHITE paired with it.

Also is this allowed as the green and black wires are coming from the outside bt wire.

No It is a breach of the contract with your telephone service provider. But do it correctly and you are unlikely to be caught. But if ever there is a fault on the line and OpenReach have to come out then the engineer may notice there is some DIY alterations.

Right there's confusion here. The wires coming into the box that are getting used are green and black currently connecting to orange and white. The orange and white wire I need to get rid off and replace it with the 4 wire coloured green brown blue orange. Which of these 4 colours connects to the green and black from the outside wire. Also if I was to cut green and black wire terminals off and connect the new ones would this work or short the circuit?

My new wire hasn't got any pairs it's simply blue orange green brown. No white wires at all.

Old BT Internal cable colours Blue, Orange, Green, Brown (& Slate }grey{; More than 5 wires then each is paired with White,then Red, Black & Yellow) Up to 4 wire then all four are twisrted together. Stopped being used for new early 1980's.
New BT Internal cable colours BLUE/white (B) - WHITE/blue (A), ORANGE/white - WHITE/Orange, GREEN/white - WHITE/green, BROWN/white - WHITE/brown; (caps is main colour, lower case is trace colour).

Can I connect the incoming green and black to the cable I have. Either blue brown orange or green?

From what I can understand orange and blue is the first pair. Do I connect these to the green and black? I plan to use push in wire connectors. So as I see it I connect black to orange and green to brown and then I have a 50/50 to see which goes to a and b. If one doesn't work turn it round and bingo?

With '4 wire' Blue is 'B' leg, Orange is 'A' leg. (green is earth for shared service or bell extension, brown is spare or bell on SS).
However if you have a long run and with Broadband delivered over copper (cable) then you will be better off using the newest cable with colour/white wires as they are twisted in pairs. or even use Cat5e or Cat6.

In terms of orange been a and blue been b what is a and b of the green and black or does it not matter? The cable is about 8m in length and will be internal bedind a plasterboard wall. Then through into the master socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back