Help needed to wire secondary extension socket !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, As I am not very DIY minded I could do with some advice !.I have bought a secondary surface extension socket, which i want to position in the lounge. I have a telephone extension cable plugged into the main incoming BT socket, this is routed under the flooring to the position I want to place the new Extension socket. I wish to connect the cable, coloured blue,green ,white and red to the terminals numbered 1-6. Could someone please put me right.

Many thanx,

Sponsored Links
If you look at the end of the plug, you may be able to see the wire colours under the contacts. The contact furthest from the latch is number 1 (2 on a 4-way plug) and the one nearest the latch is number 6 (5)

Connect the plug pin to the same number socket terminal

IIRC the connections are
White - 2
Green - 3
Blue - 4
Red - 5

Another colour code sometimes seen is

Black - 2
Red - 3
Green - 4
Yellow - 5

Connections 1 and 6 are not usually used.

Alternatively you could connect your cable directly into the back of the extension face plate in the master socket. Undo the two screws & remove the half panel. Connect wires to position 2,3 & 5. Normal cenvention is:
2 - blue/white
3 - orange/white
5 - white/blue.

2 & 5 carry the line voltage, 3 is the ringer current which make the extension phone ring. All the others are unused.

Connect these wires to the same positions in the new socket & bobs your uncle. You may need an insertion tool (haha) or Kroning tool to do this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back