Help!!! No life in boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
I have a an ideal isar that I had to strip to repair a water leak on (iso valve) and on re-assembly, the control panel is dead.

It is operated by a Plumb Center 5/2 day timer, that is switching on.

On closer inspection, the feed from the timer goes into a black connector (photo //www.diynot.com/network/smashingbloke/albums/ ). A single black wire is disconnected. Where should it connect to?

Please help me have heating for New Year's eve!

Sponsored Links
From right to left on the plug you should have

Live

Neutral

Earth

L2. Stat

L1. Stat

If this is correct on live neutral and earth. Check the connector plug from the display PCB to main PCB is connected or that it isn't wet at display end

I'll get a better photo.

The black socket (leading to PCB) has all of it's wires in place. The plug leading from the programmer has from right to left:

L3 Brown,
N Blue,
Earth yellow/green
L2 Grey
L1 empty

The socket it plugs into has:

L3 Brown + Black,
N Blue,
Earth yellow/green
L2 Black
L1 Black

Sponsored Links
Could just be a spare.

Do you have a multi meter? Check for 230/240 AC between live and neutral

L3 and N

When the socket is connected to the plug I get 230v between N & L3 at the socket side of things, so the connection is good.

The black wire gives 50v btw...

But you have no display? The on switch is switched on isn't it?

On the boiler ( rocker switch)

Yes!

I've already replaced on PCB on this boiler. The electrics were fine before I stripped it down this time.

Getting 230v at the plug just before it goes into the PCB.

Have you reconnected the communication cable between the display PCB and main PCB

Is there any signs of corrosion around bottom connector or is it wet

I have just tested the terminals at the rocker switch and there was no voltage. So I removed the plug at the PCB end of the two wires (red & brown). Those two terminals gave no voltage.

Is it another PCB failure?

The all purple loom is the comms lead? It is connected and all looks good to me. I kept them our of the way when I worked on the water.

The relevance to the comma lead is that it's common for the auto air vent to let by, leak into base of boiler and take out the display PCB

Things are a lot easier when you are sat in front of it :p

Give me a mo

That's just where I was going next.

Been a long time since I changed a PCB on these believe it or not.

Did you remove the PCB?

From memory two of the connectors can easily go in the wrong place, could have switched them by accident

Yes, the diverter valve and the six pin plug into the PCB.

I checked that before I powered up. If only!!!

Three wires to diverter valve- red, purple, grey.

I did fully remove the PCB and move it well out of the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back