help! paint cracking over Caulk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have spent ages prepping a room for painting and filled in cracks with Caulk. Yesterday I began painting with Dulux matt once emulsion, but now there are cracks everywhere I filled. I am thinking that the paint is too thick as I have found it very hard to use and am considering buying new paint. The trouble is I don't know what to do now as it looks a mess. What do I do? is there a paint I can buy that will cover these or do I need to re-caulk, help making very slow progress and my room is chaos!!!!

Thanks Katy

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, would really appreciate some advice! am at the decision that I should try and caulk over the cracks that have appeared and try new paint, woukd this perhaps be a solution!

Any help much appreciated!

ThanKS katy

hi katy caulk is not designed to fill cracks its design for joints ontop of the skirting to meet the wall and small cracks between wall and ceiling joints. paint will crack on caulk if the caulk is still wet and when it drys it will crack the paint.

It has happend to me on some jobs before the way i got round it was use some oil based undercoat then re paint with your emulsion.

hope this helps carl

On flat walls you need to use hard filla like polyfilla or similar, gentle rub down and two coats of emulsion on top. dont use Dulux once as it works too thick because it wants to do it in one coat. Better use normal dulux and give two coats.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, that does help alot, I was filling the joints in the walls where they neet eachther and the ceiling line which I think is right.

Now my caulk is cracked in the corners of the rooms and I cant get into sand them, what do you suggest I do about covering them so I can put on the right types of paint and get a neat finish.

Thanks for all your help, i will go and buy more paint and undercoat!

hi ye thats what its designed for you may of put it on to thick or painted over it when it was still not dry, so when it dryed it will shrink but the paint wont thats why it will crack . anymore help just ask.

make sure you get oil based undercoat not water based

carl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back