Help please having a new boiler installed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
New to forum, I'm going to replace my boiler it is an Ideal Excel, pretty old brown coloured thing which apparently there are no longer service parts for as I treid to get it covered my British Gas warranty scheme.

have a small two bed house, 6 rads at moment but want to add one in kitchen, I have had a 3 plumers round to get quotes but been getting conflicting info.

wanted to swap to a combi for efficiency, been told I have a 15mm gas inlet pipe and this needs to be changed by law to a larger 22mm ? pipe, another said he can fit an Ideal Isar bolier which operated differently to others and can safely work on 15mm as not pressure sensitive. Can run a bigger pipe but going to invlove alot of work to do so would like to avoid if possible.

Also have refurbed cast iron rads which one has told me will ruin new boiler with rust deposits they have inside.

Must say apart from boiler being a bit noisy never had a problem in three years of living here, did how ever drain the syatem once myself and refill but did not realise about rust inhibiter so been running for last 2 years without it.

Any help please as they way to go.

Thanks,

Andrew

Surrey

Sponsored Links
Dont get an Ideal.

Nearly all combis need ATLEAST 22mm.

Rads will need chemical or powerflushing to clean the system. System will become pressurised which will find any weak valves etc. so bare this in mind.

Only way you will get away with 15mm gas pipe is if the boiler is sat on top of the gas meter.

Ideal isar's require a minimum inlet gas pressure of 18mbar and are a pile of junk.

If the system is flushed and a magnetic filter (magnaclean) is fit then you will be fine.

I'd get a few more quotes ;)

The guy who did the victorian rad refurbing for me used to be an industrial plumber and his advise was don't bother replacing the boiler until it breaks down, any one else agree or know if it is possible to service the current boiler ?
cheers again !

If not using a cobi will the 15mm pipe be sufficient and what is the best way to get more pressure on the shower with a non combi.

Thanks once more ....

Sponsored Links
Hi,

wanted to swap to a combi for efficiency, been told I have a 15mm gas inlet pipe and this needs to be changed by law to a larger 22mm ? pipe, another said he can fit an Ideal Isar bolier which operated differently to others and can safely work on 15mm as not pressure sensitive.

What a load of cobblers, don't use him. Isars are no different from any other combi, apart from the fact they are totally rubbish. Depending on the distance from the gas meter, you may even have to go to 28mm copper.

Also have refurbed cast iron rads which one has told me will ruin new boiler with rust deposits they have inside.

He is obviously not intending to do a proper job and powerflush system upon completion :eek: Only slight danger is rads may get pin holes if corroded badly on the inside.

Must say apart from boiler being a bit noisy never had a problem in three years of living here, did how ever drain the syatem once myself and refill but did not realise about rust inhibiter so been running for last 2 years without it.

What makes you want to change the system then :confused: :?:

Dave,

Only real reason is slight noise and lack of power at shower end.

Cheers,

Andrew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back