help please most of my rads gone cold!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I had a leak (bad olive) on my hall rad valve. I turned off the stop cock and the good rad valve and after a couple of pans of water later it stopped. I replaced the olives, tightened everything back up, stop cock back on and repressureised the combi ( worcester 28 ) back to 1 bar. I bled the rad but no air came out, just water.
Now the one rad I have upstairs and 3 in the living room are scorching but the rest, hall, 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (bungalow) are cold!
I have discovered the drain point, off the hall rad and have drained 3 big pans off and kept topping the combi up. This makes the pipe to the hall rad go hot for a while but the rad doesn't get hot. I have now bled all rads but only water came out.
Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong please?
Many Thanks,
Rob.

Sponsored Links
They are getting a bit warmer and there's lots of trickling/gurgling noises in the pipes. This might just sort itself out!! (fingers crossed)

Hmmm..... hall, 1 bedroom and 2 bathrooms are scorchio now. 2 bedrooms are cold. i guess from the lack of response you're as baffled as me!
Just bled the rads again but still just water ,no air.
Guess I'll leave it and see if it completely fixes itself!!!

These 2 rads aren't showing any signs of even thinking about getting warm! One of them is my daughters bedroom so i could really do with it working now.
The pipes to that one come from the ceiling if that makes any difference.
I was wondering if there could be an airlock somewhere?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rob.

Sponsored Links
there might be an air lock in the pipework above the rad, turn off the hot ones and see what happens.

You can also turn the pump speed up and down to hear the air being moved around. Then allowing you to bleed.

(Only bleed with heating off)

Andy

Mick, you are a star!!! Turned off the rest of the rads and straight away heard big gurgles and the girls rad got hot. The last cold one stayed cold so I repeated the process a couple of times and now the inlet to the rad is mad hot and the rad itself is very slowly warming up and I can hear faint trickles inside so i think that will sort itself out.

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

You can also turn the pump speed up and down to hear the air being moved around. Then allowing you to bleed.

(Only bleed with heating off)

Andy

Andy, how do i alter the pump speed? Do you mean bleed the rads or is there another bleed point somewhere? I think the problem is fixed, this is for future reference!
Many thanks,
Rob.

Hmmmm..... now I've turned the rest of the rads back on, the one that was cold and has just warmed up has gone back to being cold again!! Arrggghhhh!!
Any ideas how to keep it warm please????
Thanks,
Rob.

Sorted it!!! I turned off both valves on all rads apart from the casualty. it got roasting straight away. Turned all valves back on and ta daaaa everything has stayed hot. Whoop whoop!!

Thanks for your help.

Rob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back