help please no power in sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi would really appreciate some advice, this morning I woke up and no sockets were working, except for in the kitchen Wich are on a Seperate fuse. I assumed the fuse was the problem so I tested by by swapping the cooker fuse with the socket one as they both 30a and same result, cooker working but no sockets. Have unplugged absolutely everything and reset the main trip switch, I don't know what else there is to try, I assumed it would have a reset button or something but its an old board with a few rows of fuses and only 1 main trip switch. Really can't before to get a sparky out at moment, any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links
... so I tested by by swapping the cooker fuse with the socket one as they both 30a and same result, cooker working but no sockets.
The problem clearly isn't with the fuses, then, which presumably means that something must have happened to the wiring. Unfortunately, I fear that you're probably going to need an electrician.

[I take it from what you've said that all of the sockets are dead?]

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for reply, yes all dead apart from kitchen. The weird thing is it was overnight so almost nothing would have been on. I just don't understand what could have caused it. Other than the fuse is there any other components that could be faulty, anything in sockets I could check? Sorry probably clutching at straws a bit but can't see how the wiring has become a problem without anything changing. Thanks

Hi thanks for reply, yes all dead apart from kitchen. The weird thing is it was overnight so almost nothing would have been on. I just don't understand what could have caused it. Other than the fuse is there any other components that could be faulty, anything in sockets I could check? Sorry probably clutching at straws a bit but can't see how the wiring has become a problem without anything changing. Thanks
Yes, I agree that it is pretty odd for it to suddenly happen, overnight. There shouldn't really be any other 'components' - basically just cables from the fuse box to the sockets - so something presumably must have become disconnected or broken, but goodness knows how. Indeed, if your sockets are (as is commonly the case) arranged in a 'ring' circuit, then very few single faults would result in every socket losing power. I don't suppose that there are any furry animals with sharp teeth beneath your floorboards, are there? :) Maybe some other people will have some ideas!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks very much for the advice! Sockets and kitchen sockets were indeed labelled the wrong way around! Thanks for your time guys very much appreciated. Would have been gutted to have paid for someone to come and tell me that! Great idea would never have thought of that, cheers

Thanks very much for the advice! Sockets and kitchen sockets were indeed labelled the wrong way around! Thanks for your time guys very much appreciated. Would have been gutted to have paid for someone to come and tell me that! Great idea would never have thought of that, cheers
Glad to hear that - but before you get too excited, if you're saying that the fuse supplying the sockets had blown, then there is the outstanding question as to why it blew in the first place, seemingly 'spontaneous;y' in the middle of the night. There may therefore still be something not quite right somewhere (aka it might happen again unless you can find, and rectify, the cause).

Kind Regards, John

Yes does seem strange to go when very little being used, it had probably been the same fuse for years so hopefully it just decided to call it a day! We shall see cheers

Yes does seem strange to go when very little being used, it had probably been the same fuse for years so hopefully it just decided to call it a day! We shall see cheers
Maybe, but I wouldn't 'count your chickens' - for a 30A fuse to spontaneously 'call it a day' when very lightly loaded would be pretty unusual.

Kind Regards, John

John, If it was the circuit labeled kitchen then it was a 20A circuit that failed.

Years ago our main fuse (60/80A can't remember) blew one evening with nothing except the TV and a few lights on. The DNO guy replaced the old and distressed looking fuse (I kept it as a souvenir and if I can find it, I'll take a photo). He told us it wasn't unknown for it to blow given it's age and to not to worry unless it happened again (which it didn't).

Out of curiosity, I've never seen one of those old MEM boards before. Are they fuse carriers or do they have fuse wire inside like the older Wylex boards. I guess fuse carriers as I've never seen fuse wire for sale in the usual outlets other than the triple 5A/15A/30A packs.

John, If it was the circuit labeled kitchen then it was a 20A circuit that failed.
It was - that was a slip of the typing finger. Apologies.
Years ago our main fuse (60/80A can't remember) blew one evening with nothing except the TV and a few lights on. The DNO guy replaced the old and distressed looking fuse (I kept it as a souvenir and if I can find it, I'll take a photo). He told us it wasn't unknown for it to blow given it's age and to not to worry unless it happened again (which it didn't).
Sure, it happens, but I think it's pretty unusual at a moment when load is low.
Out of curiosity, I've never seen one of those old MEM boards before. Are they fuse carriers or do they have fuse wire inside like the older Wylex boards. I guess fuse carriers as I've never seen fuse wire for sale in the usual outlets other than the triple 5A/15A/30A packs.
The clue is in what is written on them ("HRC Fuse Carrier") :)

Kind Regards, John

Sure, it happens, but I think it's pretty unusual at a moment when load is low.

I agree. When our main fuse blew I was fearing the worst. We had only been in the house a year or so and were still uncovering the previous owners DIY attempts. This was over 10 years ago now and I'm in danger of taking this off topic, so:

Our old fuse which blew for no reason one night:

OP: Assuming you have replaced the fuse like for like, if it happens again, get an electrician ASAP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back