Downstairs sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Woke this morning electric had tripped , reset on board found to be downstairs sockets circuit the problem, unplugged all appliances still tripping checked all sockets they look ok, swapped fuse with upstairs circuit and its still tripping, sometimes stays on for a few minutes.

Sponsored Links
What is tripping? the RCD? (has a test button, usually covers more than one circuit) or MCB? (individual breaker for that circuit, no test button) or RCBO? (individual breaker for that circuit, has a test button).

The RCD is tripping, the only way to get back on is to turn of the breaker for downstairs sockets.

Have you recently done anything which might have damaged a cable?

You said you unplugged everything, but do you have any appliances connected via FCUs?

Do you have any external lights or sockets spurred from the socket circuit?

Sponsored Links
A few weeks ago I reset a cable into the wall , yesterday took it back out to check I hadn't gone through it with the galvanised channel looks ok. The boiler is on the circuit but I isolated it (took out fuse). No spurs coming of the circuit.

Likely suspects then are ingress of water or rodent damage, especially if your downstairs wiring is in the void under a suspended floor...

If you're certain everything is disconnected from the circuit then the next step would be to test it. To do that properly you would need an insulation resistance tester... it may be time to call an electrician. Usually (for a competent electrician) it's pretty easy to find the fault but repairing it isn't always so straightforward. A neutral-earth fault can trip RCD's so generally things need to be unplugged/completely disconnected from the circuit (and this is needed to fully test anyway), not just switched off (unless double-pole switches) however because the RCD is holding in with the one circuit off at the MCB it suggests it's a live/earth fault not neutral/earth (if it was neutral/earth fault it would likely still trip when other circuits on the same RCD were in use).

Sorry to say removing fuse does not isolate. The fuse is only on the line the neutral will still be connected. For that reason I like switched FCU as the switch is normally two pole so does isolate whole supply.

Since around here it has started to rain I would look for outside lights often these are feed from socket supply in theory when RCD protected we should use double pole switches but often RCD is added latter and so switch is single pole so again the neutral to earth fault can still cause it to trip even when switched off.

Old rubber cables can fail on insulation but in the main faults are normally either in the back box or where a screw or nail has hit a cable. Spiders and mouse have been both known to get into boxes and cause a fault. With mice they may even have chewed the cable.

Damp can also cause problems cold wall and damp room can cause condensation to form in back boxes.

As electricians we use an insulation tester which uses 500 volt without one of these it's hard to go past the basic testing and they are not cheap so once simple tests are done then time to call an electrician who with the help of the machine can find faults you would not find.

Thanks for all your advice, the boiler is on a switch, so can we cross that of ?. Is it usual when I reset the trip the electric to stays on for a while ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back