help please slow heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok lads this is my first post and i know nothing about plumbing so go easy lol,anyway my problem is that my heating system is slow to warm up is there anything i can do to improve this,it is not a pressurized system and has a tank in the loft,rads hav trv fitted and are all open full by the way what is the best setting to put all trv at thanx and sorry for my dumbness

Sponsored Links
TRVs should be set to the temperature you need in each room. They are thermostats, although they aren't marked with a temperature so you'll have to do a bit of trial and error. Maybe bedrooms on 2 or 3, living room on 4 or 5.

How slow is slow? How hot do the radiators get when they finally warm up? What boiler do you have? How many radiators?

wow thanx for the quick reply, rite theres 12 rads in a 3 bedroom house the boiler is a worchester and my original post was directed mainly at my 2 living room rads they take about 30mins to get hot and they dont really get as hot as other rads, ihave bled them and the bottom of the rads are a bit cooler than the top

Sponsored Links
im willing to give it a go can u give me abit of info on how i do this without flooding the house

It might be sludge or it might be simply that those radiators are furthest from the boiler and are getting starved. Switch off all the other radiators and see if those get hot. You can also get an air (or grit) lock in the valves on a radiator, especially if the lockshield valve (at the other end from the TRV) is on the input side, so make sure you open up the valves fully on the cool radiators. If they work that way, then read about radiator balancing and you should be good to go. No point flushing if you don't need to.

Normally you would bleed everything before balancing, but in your case (warm at the top, cool at the bottom), you don't seem to have much air in the system. Rather you have poor hot water flow through that radiator. You can bleed the radiators anyway if it hasn't been done for ages, but make sure you know how to re-pressurise the system or your boiler may switch itself off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back