Help please, Solid wood floor over concrete!!! bitumen!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello please could you advise me on some brands to use.

I have some solid wood flooring, that I will be glueing to a concrete floor.

I have look at a few of the Adhesives on the web, and they all state the same, the ploblem is my old floor has some bitumen left and I will need to seal this first, what is the best brand of sealer and adhesive to use, some of the sealer say mix with sand??????? dont reall know how to lay the sealer on?

Darren

Sponsored Links
Use a sealer of the same brand as your adhesive. F.Ball (Stycobond brand) has both and are pretty good value for money.

Other question: why glueing down? If your wood has T&G you can easily install it floating on a DPM + soundinsulation (2 in 1 product or separate DPM and soundinsulation), saves you the trouble of sealing etc.

(See also here)

WoodYouLike,

Im glad that you have answered my post as you do have good advise.

well the Brand is Elka solid, and I got them for a good price, it states to glue to the floor or secret, over floor boards.

so what do you think is the best solution for the Elka floor? and the best for price, the floating will make it quite high? will it not.? and the Glue method will be a little lower, as it will meed a kitchen tiled floor, so I would like to avoid to big a step. ( what is a good brand for this 2 in 1

thank you

Darren

2-in-1 underlayment is 2 - 3 mm thick (Ergolay, not everywhere availalbe yet) or 4mm (Timbermate Excell, available almost everywhere = flooring companies, not sure about most sheds).

If the packaging states you have to glue it down, then you might loose the guarantee if you don't. But normally every solid wood flooring is suitable for installing floating (except of course parquet, like herringbone blocks). If you're in doubt, call your supplier.

Sponsored Links
yes well I purchased it from Costco, the trade warehouse, it was a bargain price of £20+ vat per 1.12m... I have seen Elka Solid a lot more than this.

but can you see no reason why I cant just glue the T&G, my brother is a chippy so that side will be ok, PVA and the strap, is that best?

Many thanks

Darren

Ok thank you,

I would like to purchse the strap kit to fit these, do you rate any brand for this, also one that is not to pricy. and is there a glue you like best.

I have seen people do the straping once before, how many would you bunch together in 1 go, these are 80mm wide boards.

Sorry for all the q`s

Darren

Personally we never use strappings. My partner fits the first three- four rows, then has a tea or coffee break (depending on what the customer is offering him ;)) to let the PVAC wood glue (most brands are fine) bond the T&G's.
Then he continues with the rest of the floor.

Most important thing is trying not to walk over freshly installed rows.

ok, I am still a little bit scared, its just that the Elka says bond to floor, so you can understand why im a little worried.

If I could seal over the bitumen, I would...it used to have parquet...

Darren

What brand of parquet adhesive do you plan to use? Ask your supplier if that brand also has a sealer, so both are 'compatible'.

I do not have a supplier, as I said the floor was purchased at costco trade warehouse, its random lengh, 80mm X18mm....... I like your sound of the DPM all 1 floating but am a little scared, maybe there is some sort of tool to clean the floor of this stuff, I suppose it is what they used to use.

Silka seem a good brand, but dont know all the details, its not thick on the floor, the black stuff, I can just see all swirl marks, where they have trowled it on.

Darren

Is it sticky?
If yes, then there is still to much Bitumen left. If no, then it's only a residue of Bitumen colour and it will be fine to install it floating on DPN and insulation (underlayment might stick a little bit to residue, but nothing to worry about).

If you worry about the guarantee and still want to glue it down completely, then the same as above counts. Adhesive might take a little longer to bond with the underfloor.
Sika is a good brand, but expensive. Most manufacturers now also have a silicon based parquet adhesive (like Lecol or F.Ball's stycobond).

Hope this helps.

no it is not at all sticky, it is like when you remove tiles, just lots of swirl marks.

yes I have seen the F ball range, I wonder if they do a nice sealer I could put down first to make sure.

Darren

ps Many thanks

Stycobond F70 (PVA primer-sealer for floors and walls, dilute with water = let it dry for a day before installing the wood).

and it is ok to put a solvent based glue over that? as most of them are?

what adhisive do Stycobond do?

Darren

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back