help please, window not locking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced a new handle on my window and now when I go to close it , it doesn't lock and the lock on the side of the window doesn't move up and down, can anyone tell me what's happened please.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Did you get the right length spindle on the handle, if so take the handle off have a look in the whole and see if the square hole that it goes into is still square, it may have fallen apart if so you need a new espag

thanks mate, i did have to cut it down as it was to long so i might of cut it to short but when i take the handle of the metal bits in the window seem abit loose.

Take a handle of another window and try it, if it works you cut the spindle to short if it dont new espag needed

Sponsored Links
thank you by the way what's the bit inside the window when you take the handle off because that seems a little loose

Two scenarios here, you either have had a handle failure OR an espag rod failure

Handles, sometimes the spindle comes loose and slides out of the handle itself causing the handle to just spin and not operate the mechanism at all

Espags, a common problem with espags is gearbox failure, if at some point the handle was stiff to operate when opening or closing this then puts undue pressure on the internals.

Ways to check....

Take handle off and look at the square bit in the mechanism where the handle spindle fits in to, is it still in one piece, these normally break apart because they are brittle, if its broken it may have fallen away and the square spindle does nothing now.......new mechanism required.

If its still there then get a good hold of the mushrooms or cams, (the bits that slide up and down to lock the window) and slide them manually, do they all move equally and in sync, does the handle move if its still on???

If not theres an internal failure within the gearbox, probably in the rack and pinion area......again a new espag rod will be required

thank you i will check this all tomorrow also if it is the espag do you know how to lock the window another away to stop the draft coming through?

thank you i will check this all tomorrow also if it is the espag do you know how to lock the window another away to stop the draft coming through?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back