help - problems with cold water stuff!

kkw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone advise?
What is / is not happening

everytime i flush the toilet it seems to take a long time to fill up again and its also very loud.
also when i turn on the cold tap in the sink or bath the noise is quite deafening too, sometimes its like a boat! when i shut off the taps it takes a while for the noise to stop, sometimes it makes quite a loud noise and then justs stops abrubtly
also what has started happening when i turn on the cold taps, the electric shower makes a clicking noise - the shower is not on at the time. and if the shower is on because the toilet takes so long to fill up i notice an increase in the shower water pressure when toilet finished filling.

finally anytime neighbour upstairs flushes or runs taps i can hear the pipe noises in my bathroom.

Has ANYTHING else been done / changed recently

last week the neighbour upstair did have a plumber in to fit new cistern and these noises seem to coincide with that.
we also lost all water out of the tank in loft - someone had closed the valve feeding it sometime ago and it eventually ran out but this has now been resolved but the cold water issues were happening before that.

When did it (problem) start
about a week to week n half ago

when does it happen?
everytime me or neighbour flushes or turns taps on

please help the noises are driving me crazy!!!!

Sponsored Links
Problem is known as water hammer. Basically resonance or vibration in the pipework It is caused by any combination of:-
High water pressure.
Loose or unclipped pipework.
Sharp bends in pipework.
The very design of some valves and taps.
Worn ballvalve washers.

Some remedies

If your cistern is compliant with current regs it will have an isolation valve underneath. By turning this valve towards the closed position you can use this to reduce the flow to the cistern.
Renewing older ballvalves often does the trick. Try fitting a Torbeck valve and use the fine insert to slow the flow a bit more.

Post back if the above or any of the implied measures do not work

Given the shower flow drops when the cistern is filling and the cistern fill slower than it used to, I'm wondering if the plumber has not fully opened the stop cock (or other isolation valve somewhere). This is restricting the flow, and can be very noisy (wooshing rather than banging).

Sponsored Links
Hi slugbabydotcom and stevesey

slugbabydotcom,
i wouldnt want to turn the cistern valve towards the closed as i feel its taking too long to fill up as it is but i will take your other suggestions on board and investigate these further thanks

stevesey,
i did wonder if it could be something to do with the plumber not opening the stop cock or a valve fully when he was finished, i will have to go into neighbours house to check this out. thanks

i hope these suggestions work thanks very much guys
k :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back