HELP PUTTING UP TILES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI
I am going to try and put some tiles up in bathroom.
Its about 40 tiles.2 lines round bath
The walls look straight .
Can any one tell me best way to put up there only the pain white tiles
The white ones
How do you know its straight?
Whats the best stuff to use.

And would also like to do floor with the little small tiles.
If any one can help
would be great.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Putting up tiles is fairly easy, but to go through the whole list of instructions on here would take about ten pages.

But in summery....

Plan plan plan....work out where you are going to start and finish, in most cases you should start in the centre of a wall and do you cuts into each corner, thus avoiding having to piece in a three quarter inch pice all down one edge while the other side has a full tile....this will also look very unbalanced.

Start at the bottom....one tile up, if the ceiling line allows you to do this and you dont, again end up with a thin strip along the ceiling..(this will really highlight a crocked ceiling/wall line)

Fix a horizontal batten to the wall and work from that, one course at a time, oviously leaving a gap between the tiles....as a rule of thumb.....the bigger the tile.......the bigger the gap.

For best grip, use ordinary tile adhesive and not the 'fix an grout' type as this doesnt have the same 'grab' qualities.

Keep the tiles clean of adhesive as you go along......theres nothing worse than digging on loads of hard bits.

Dont grout on the same day as you fix, leave a day between.

Hope this helps.......have fun!

Hi

Thanks for advice i am going to try
and tile in a few days thanks for advice
and will let you know how i get on .

Cheers :)

Take your time and plan it first....its worth spending a couple of hours working out where the centres and cuts are going to be as opposed to spending ages trying to cut 'slithers'

One point for you...theres two ways of 'centering' a wall...

1...Find the centre of the wall, draw a vertical line from that point, then
put the first tiles either side of the line and work towards each corner(smilar to wallpapering)

2...Find the centre or the wall, draw a vertical line from that point, but this
time place the tile over the line so the centre of the tile is above the
centre line on the wall

If the first method leave you with an awkward cut when you get to the adjoining walls then use the second method..or vice versa

Sponsored Links
Take your time and plan it first....its worth spending a couple of hours working out where the centres and cuts are going to be as opposed to spending ages trying to cut 'slithers'

One point for you...theres two ways of 'centering' a wall...

1...Find the centre of the wall, draw a vertical line from that point, then
put the first tiles either side of the line and work towards each corner(smilar to wallpapering)

2...Find the centre or the wall, draw a vertical line from that point, but this
time place the tile over the line so the centre of the tile is above the
centre line on the wall

If the first method leave you with an awkward cut when you get to the adjoining walls then use the second method..or vice versa

Zampa that was inspired advice. I have a video and book on tiling and so far have only seen the first method. I am about to start on my tiling of bathroom very soon and have only a small bathroom 2mx2.8m im using BAL White star adhesive and microflex grout. Im tiling with 25cm x40cm tiles onto ordinary plasterboard i attached to the brickwork with rapid setting waterproof floor tile adhesive with the odd masonary nail to be double sure. My question is that the existing tiles (those left til last to remove) look pretty okay in the right hand corner of the bathroom (the most prominent place you see as you enter the room). i.e. no slivers in the corner. Cos the new tiles are large i was wondering if i could get away with two full tiles in that corner and make cuts else where? I know this is fundamntaly against what you said but it means only two edges to make cuts at for me one in the far leaft corner by the toilet and one on the back wall where shower is. Of course this way i plan will mean that there will be a small odd bit over the sink which is centered below a small window. What are your thoughts on tiles over sinks do they need to be centered or not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back