Help - radiators not working since engineer came!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bathroom radiator stopped working the other week, it's only 3 years old with the new bathroom we had fitted, so I called heat-team who we have boiler, controls & radiator cover with. The engineer came yesterday, really nice guy, but since he left several more rads have stopped working!

He said that our system had a lot of sludge in it, it's old & we need a power flush. The rads themselves are all fine but the sludge is affecting them working. Apparently it's only a matter of time before they will stop working one by one because of the sludge. He managed to get the bathroom rad working again, also did an annual service on the boiler + replaced the hot water pump valve that was old & v noisy.

When he left the heating was on & all seemed fine, it was a mild day so we turned it off again. This morning we put it on & found that it was v noisy, much more noisy than before the engineer came yesterday, loud humming whereas it used to be fairly quiet. Also a kind of water wooshing noise as well as the humming!

Add to this although the bathroom rad is now working again, several other rads are either not coming on, or are only slightly warm :(

What do I do? My hubby says we should try the power flush like the engineer said, but I'm annoyed that things have stopped working since he came & did the work - it can't be a coincidence?!

Please could I get some advice :(

Sponsored Links
He might have turned the pump up which could account for the wooshing sound, if it's on 3 turn it down to 2. If he's done this it might be dragging in air so try bleeding the rads that aren't working, if that doesn't work try shutting down all the rads bar one until it gets hot then shut that one down & open up another, keep doing this until you've done them all.
As for needing a power flush, that's the sound of an engineer who hasn't a clue what's wrong so he'll sell you a power flush to get some commision & also it gets him out of the door & away from the problem.

If you are up for it, switch off the boiler then have alook at the small header tank if your system has one, this should be clear and clean and not full of grit/ muck. Next, isolate one rad and drain and remove it. Flush this rad out using a hose until it runs clear. Refit and open/bleed and do the next. Do all the rads and now add inhibiter to the small tank and rebleed the rads again. You may need to pop to say, a DIY store for some replacement washers for the rads, take an old one with you. I'm not a heating engineer but as I say, if your up for it.
Pete

Sponsored Links
you could have a blockage in the cold feed from the small tank, follow the pipe then get a magnet and put on the cold feed aprox 3 inch from where it connects to the system , if you feel resistance then thats where the blockage is. when your rads are working again check for cold spots at the bottom, if there is, manualy remove turn upside down & flush with hose using a rubber hammer to shift the sludge. try a manual system clean ueing fernox x400 then x100.then finnish off fitting a magnclean to the return pipe to the boiler. good luck if you doit your self. i would recamend you imploy a plumber though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back