Help Remove Old Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can anyone help.

This valve is very old and seized and I am trying to replace it.

I cannot use a wrench as I cannot get purchase on the nut as the other pipe is too close. I note that my 17mm is a bit too small, can anyone hazard a guess what spanner size I will need?

Also I am assuming this valve is very old, is there a modern valve (maybe 50 years) that will replace it in terms of size or won't that be a problem?

Thanks alot View media item 48150

Sponsored Links
2 pr of good quality glandnut plyers should do the job.

Is it the incoming mains, and can you turn it off elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
Dig around it. Pipe slice or hack saw. Then replace the whole valve.
Job done. Don't mess about with the old valve.

Its coming from the tank in the roof. So I can turn off the water from the main stop cock, where the water comes in from the road.

Do you think I will be able to find the same length of valve to replace this one , I don't want to get involved with pipe work etc.

Its coming from the tank in the roof. So I can turn off the water from the main stop cock, where the water comes in from the road.

Do you think I will be able to find the same length of valve to replace this one , I don't want to get involved with pipe work etc.

No you'll have to cut the pipe and you will need a new piece of pipe.
Sounds like plumber time to me if you don't want to tackle piping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back