Help - Removed plasterboard backing paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have removed the backing paper on plasterboard whilst taking the wallpaper off the wall. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have removed the backing paper on plasterboard whilst taking the wallpaper off the wall. Any advice?

How much have you removed?

Was the plasterboard never skimmed over with plaster?

If not, wallpapering over it is never a good idea.

If you have a lot of this damage, you may need to skim the walls.

How much have you removed?

Was the plasterboard never skimmed over with plaster?

If not, wallpapering over it is never a good idea.

If you have a lot of this damage, you may need to skim the walls.

It is quite common to paper over tape and join plasterboard that has not been sufficient sealed- yup, it is wrong on many levels but it does happen.

I have only worked in a couple of tape and join houses. Removing the wallpaper without the risk of damaging the plasterboard paper lead me to use a sander to sand the coating of the wallpaper away. I then lined the walls over the top of the old wallpaper backing.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Without seeing the extent of damage it is difficult to advise further. If faced with damaged plasterboard, I would consider sanding the ripped edges of paper BUT I would be using a random orbital sander connected to a dust extractor, hand sanding is likely to make things worse. The remaining plasterboard paper skin is likely to start to rip even more if you try to hand sand it.

Plastering would be the better option but if you don't have sufficient funds then a coat of dilute SBR and a very light hand sand followed by 1400+ gauge lining paper may suffice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back