Help required! DSC/British Gas alarm trouble problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I’ve got a British Gas alarm system with a DSC keypad (PK5500 model). The trouble light has recently come on, and it says Device Low Battery. I take this to mean 1 or more wireless sensors have low battery, rather than the main 12V 7ah rechargeable battery. Is that right? It says zones 12. Firstly, does this mean zones 1 and 2, or zone 12? I assume 1 & 2 because I think I only have 8 or so sensors, def not 12. Also, how do I know which sensor corresponds to which zone (we moved into the flat after the alarm was installed unfortunately)? I’ve scoured the internet and it says to press ‘7’ once, twice or three times to see details, but it basically just bleeps and says there’s no problem. Pressing ‘1’ indicates ‘no service required.’ The keypad itself is new. Any help would be massively appreciated, don’t fancy the £85+ charge if it’s just a question of changing a sensor battery! Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
My only suggestion is to get one set of spare batteries (good idea to always have them anyway) and go around each detector to temporarily replace the batteries. Try resetting the keypad after each replacement until you find the offending PIR ;)

Thanks ipalarms, sounds like a sensible suggestion! When you say reset the keypad, do you just mean press * and then hold down 4 for a few seconds?

What does this actually do? Do I also need to reset the clock every time or is it enough to just reset the keypad, check for trouble and then move on to the next sensor replacement?

Sorry, by reset the keypad, I meant entering your 4 digit code. I shouldn't think you will need to reset the clock, but if it does display as a trouble then unfortunately you will have to do it.

I don't know anything about pressing the * and holding down the 4 key. What is that supposed to do ?

Sponsored Links
oh, ok, gotcha. The *4 thing - looked it up in the manual and it said that resets the keypad (but doesn't actually say what that means). Apparently, I should also be in test mode when I replace the batteries.......which is a problem, because the master code to get into test mode and I don't have it (previous owners didn't leave me it). Another couple of things have sprung to mind (prob pushing my luck, but here goes!)
1) how can I find out which zone number corresponds to which sensor (again, previous owners set it up and didn't leave details)
2) to replace the batteries, do I just 'yank' off the front part of the sensor, or is there a particular technique?

Try 5555 or 5550 as the engineer code - or the model number of your panel.

1. Do a walk test and get someone to write the zones down
2. Sorry - No idea

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back