Help required with problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal ff350 boiler, EP2002 controller and a Megaflow system.

I noticed that I had a noise coming from the Megaflow last night. It sounded like it was still heating water or possibly a pump running. Sounded louder with ear to tank. Programmer was on timed but both CH & HW lights out as during off period. Boiler was still fired though!. Tried turning HW to off but it made no difference. Only way I could stop noise was to throw my "boiler" isolator switch which removes power to the programmer and boiler.

On reflection though must be my programmer, probably fused contacts.

Went to check it out again tonight, but it seemed to be working ok. Loudish click from programmer when first turned on. Left running to see what happened. this time same noise after timer had gone off for night. The boiler was not fired when i checked. Noise still coming from Megaflow.

This has made me wonder if my first diagnosis is correct or could it be something on the Megaflow side?

Sponsored Links
Switched on again this morning, it was back to the boiler firing when programmer (CH & HW) off. This evening it was boiler not firing but still getting noise. in other word it seems to vary between the two scenarios.

I just don;t understand the second scenario. Why do i get the noise when the boiler is off. Nothing should happen at the Megaflow when the switch is off. ok if its not working (stuck on) I understand but the boiler would always fire then!

Is there any more information I can provide? Can anyone help?

Or do I just have to cross my fingers and go for a new programmer?

Have you tried switching the isolator off to the programmer?

Yes, it has an immersion heater but that is switched off. Its only been used ever for just over a week a year ago when I had problems with the boiler.

I must admit when I first heard the nise I immediately check the the immersion hadn't been switched on accidentaly. But it hadn't and that is when I found the boiler firing after the timer had gone off.

The megaflo has never been serviced. The installation is 5 and half years old.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, not sure what happened there muggles. I answered your post but then it appeared to be a different question.

Not sure what you mean by the programmer isolator. I have a switch labelled boiler (next to washing machine and tumble dryer). If I turn that off I loose power to both the programmer and boiler. The noise stops. IF I leave that on and turn the HW switch on the programmer to off then nothing happend, the noise continues.

Motorised valve spindle is jammed open or microswitch failed. Get the Megaflow serviced at the same time....the overheat stats may have tripped as well.

I have put some images in my "HW system" album. Can you see them there?

I haven't mastered inserting an image here yet.[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back