Help - shower pump or something more sinister?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a Victorian terraced house and after a week of no problems, the water pressure in the top floor shower and sink has suddenly dwindled to a trickle. However this is for the hot water only. Cold tap and shower (if only cold) is fine. Also, when I first turn hot tap on, pressure is ok for 1 or 2 seconds but then reduces to a trickle. And the water NEVER becomes hot.

I have found a Stuart 2mB pump in the loft (same floor as bathroom) which is only 16 months old which seems to be working (at least it makes a noise, even when hot and/or cold taps are on).

I have no other problems with water pressure/temperature on 1st floor or ground floor rooms...

Any help/advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Check for blockages in the cold feed to the hot water cylinder, or at the outlets for these in the coldwater storage tank in the loft, or in any filters on the pump.

Make sure ALL valves are open full, especially your cold feed to cylinder. Try turning your pumps pressure up to 1 setting higher?

Yeah, check your cold feed storage tank, to your cylinder.

Or maybe an airlock?

If your on a combi system (which I presume your not as you can see your pump) - check that your main valve is opened full.

Assuming the hot works ok at the other taps in the house I suspect the pump for this top bathroom has been incorrectly installed with its feed coming off the cylinder vent pipework above the hot connections for the other taps resulting in an airlock.

Sponsored Links
Just re-read the post. Shower pumps should usually be fittd belowthe hw cylinder. They need to push the water rather than suck it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back