Help....so useless :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I'm a newbie and am having a problem with working out how to connect my sky hd plus box to another room or two. I know i can use a tv link but i am hoping to be able to watch different channels to what is being watched by others in the home. Sky want £10.25 per multiroom which I cannot afford at the moment. Any help would be great :)

Sponsored Links
If you use RF1 and RF2 out then you are stuck with watching the same channels.

The only thing you can do is use RF2 with a 'Magic Eye' type device which will allow you to change channel from the other room, however then all tv's connected to the box would be watching the same channel.

thanks for your reply.. i was hoping to watch other channels as i am fed up with watching kids programmes which my kids seem to have on repeat lol. to use the magic eye how can i connect it to my sky box and also my tv in my other room?

Hi Francesca Im also new here!

As far as Im aware you cannot watch 2 different channels from 1 sky box, however if you have sky world you can get sky go on your laptop/comp and watch most things on there.
Hope this helps :)

Sponsored Links
hi... do you subscribe to movies and sports?
Do you have an xbox 360 or PS3?

download the app on them and using the wireless network (PS3) if you have the xbox, you might need the wireless dongle bit (normally about 60 bucks)

you can access the channels on that!

the magic eye is only an extension lead plugged into the rf2 9v outlet.
it will not give you another channel

hope it helps a bit

Slightly different approach, but...

...if it's CITV, CBBC etc have you thought these channels are also available on Freeview and Freesat? The point is that you don't need to tie up the main Sky box when the channels are also available via something other than Sky.
Here are listings for Freeview and Freesat, the latter being available simply by running an extra cable from your existing Sky dish and adding a basic Freesat set top box for less than £30.

Another solution is to record the kids channels on DVD recorder or hard drive recorder and let the kids play the recordings.

Wow, talk about GMTA! That's precisely the answer I was going to give - all of it! :cool:

And Freeview/Freesat recorders aren't a great lot of money either - I've just had to replace my parents as the old Panasonic has died. £125 inc delivery for a Humax refurb. That way, the children can have their own recorder and you don't need to worry about them deleting your recordings.

As to piping the Sky about, using RF will give you a grotty signal. If it's too far for an HDMI cable, then look into HDMI extenders, many of which can use Cat5e cable (2 off for all but the lowest spec units). That will give you HD video and stereo audio on the remote TV. For more than one TV you'll probably need an HDMI splitter as well.

The lady did say that £10.50 a month for Sky multiroom would be a stretch, so spending a hundred pounds+ on a hard disc recorder might be equally difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back