HELP -Timer on immersion heater.

I am not sure if the timer ever worked . the property was built to sell, but the property market here is non-existant so he has let this property.
so maybe it's all just show ,
Thank you.
Tina

Sponsored Links
John, that's more or less what I was thinking although I would have started by checking if the red wire really is live.
If the immersion heater is working with the timer disconnected, then the timer can't ever have worked - unless something else has changed.
That's not necessarily true - with the rather bizarre (and very unconventional) wiring arrangement I mentioned (with the 'isolator' actually being a bypass switch in parallel with the timer), the timer would have worked, so long as the 'isolator' was in the 'off' position. Mind you, wiring an immersion timer with just three conductors is also pretty unconventional, so I guess anything is possible.

However the OP has come to the right conclusion - he/she needs an electrician.
On that we can agree.

Kind Regards, John.

I am not sure if the timer ever worked . the property was built to sell, but the property market here is non-existant so he has let this property. so maybe it's all just show
I think it's quite likely that the timer never worked, because it has not (yet) been connected to anything, but an electrician will be able to sort that out for you.

I suppose I should have asked at the start ... I presume you are certain that this timer was for the immersion heater, and not something else?

Kind Regards, John.

It might be that the timer controls ( or was intended to control ) a contactor that switches the heavy current of the immersion heater.

This is not uncommon in Europe in houses where the timer has to be accessible and is remote from the direct cable route from consumer unit to immersion heater.

Sponsored Links
It might be that the timer controls ( or was intended to control ) a contactor that switches the heavy current of the immersion heater.

This is not uncommon in Europe in houses where the timer has to be accessible and is remote from the direct cable route from consumer unit to immersion heater.
Ah, so if the contactor had stuck closed, that would explain why the heater is only switchable from the isolator switch.

Theoretically possible, although I don't know of any timeswitches of that sort, available in the UK, which wasn't designed to switch 3kW directly.

Kind Regards, John.

Theoretically possible, although I don't know of any timeswitches of that sort, available in the UK, which wasn't designed to switch 3kW directly.

Kind Regards, John.
But John, the OP is in Cyprus!

Ah, so if the contactor had stuck closed, that would explain why the heater is only switchable from the isolator switch.
Indeed it could (provided the isolator was downstream of the contactor). However, I do very much doubt that such an arrangement would have been installed in a (by implication) recent new-build in the UK - but I guess anything is possible.

The apparent wiring colours are also 'interestng' for a 'new build' :)

Kind Regards, John.

But John, the OP is in Cyprus!
Damn it - why do I never look at that side of the screen? :) In relation to what I've just written, that might explain the wiring colours (and practices) as well - apologies for any confusion!

Kind Regards, John.

If the immersion heater is working with the timer disconnected, then the timer can't ever have worked - unless something else has changed.
Not necessarily.
It's quite possible it was wired as :
red = live
blue- neutral
yellow - switched live to load
and the separate switch (not isolator) is wired across red and yellow - or put another way, the timer is wired across the manual on/off switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back