Help to get a custom chair leg made

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everybody,

I have a a very, very comfy chair that I used every day, but recently was damaged by an over active child with no sence of respect for other peoples property!!!! rant over.

I am looking to get a replacment set of legs made, but they are an unusual shape and I do not know where to look or what to look for to get these made.

Here is a picture of what the legs looked like before they where broken....

DSC00063.jpg

I know the image is very dark but it is part of an old picture that was not intended to include the chair.

Can anybody help or push me in the right direction.

Many Thanks.

Tom.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo pyscho and welcome :D :D :D

is it wood/ply or some other material!!!

Hi big-all,

It looks like plywood, When I look at the broken piece side on, it seems to be made of 10-20 thin layers of wood

Thanks.

Tom.

you are probably talking around £200 for 5 steam bent laminated feet so not a cheap option :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Where about are they broken? another photo would help us

Damn! I thought that is what I was going to here. The wood is broken at the point where the bolts go into the metal work behind the legs.
Far too badly damaged to fix.

Can anybody suggest a cheaper option?

Thanks.

Tom.

Damn! I thought that is what I was going to here. The wood is broken at the point where the bolts go into the metal work behind the legs.
Far too badly damaged to fix.

Can anybody suggest a cheaper option?

Thanks.

Tom.

get ONE made!!! ;)

take the broken foot and a another to your local joinery shop

also try a metal fabricators they could make a bracket off say 3mm mild steel that you could fix to the hidden edge off the foot or iff your realy good you could get it 20mm narrower than the foot and cut a rebate into the foot to accept the metal plate
just make shure you tell them you are countersinking the metal as they will need to drill the holes the thickness off the steel nearer the corner

another thought

is the ply dammaged structuraly or is it just a cace off the fixing bolts pulled through the wood

if its the latter get yourself a metal plate drill 2 holes for new slightly longer bolts

Hi big-all,

I don't think getting one made is a good option, the chair only cost £250 to buy from new. I did try to fix it, I glued the wood back together and bound and clamped it in place whilst drying but, when I tried to re-attach it the crack reappeared after 10 mins and is now beyond repair.

I think I am going to look it to a cheaper option, perhaps getting the legs fabricated out of steel, or I am just going to have to swallow it and buy a new chair.

Thanks.

Tom.

thank for the update have you thought off asking at where you bought it from incase they have one kicking around with a broken foot
or indeed incase you can get spares
;)

As from big-all post, find out the manufacture make and see if they do spares

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back