Help: What Do I Need To Form the Bed? (Newbie)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK I'm a newbie and this is my first attempt to do a patio and a project this size. The area to be covered in 600*600*300 slabs is 50sqm.

1. I've cleared the garden out (just have two major tree stubs to get rid of - any tips?)

2. Using a power digger, hired from the HSS hire shop, I hope to dig about 700mm deep to form the sub-base. Any idea how I can get rid of the soil? Anyone looking for soil?

3. In the sub-base whole, I'm hoping to form a hardcore foundation by dropping in some 20mm Shingles or MOT of DTp1. I hope 1T is enough? What should I use? Shingles? MOT? Or is it the same stuff?

4. Now this is my question! What should go onto the sub-base. I understand it should be a layer of bedding, something between the sub-base and the slab. I bought slab-fix but I suspect that this is too expensive and most probably not suitable for such a big area. So what do I need? Mortar? Cement? What's the difference? Or do I need something else? What do I need to enable the slabs to be stuck to the sub-base?

From my reading, (B&Q DIY book), I need to make mortar from sharp sand and cement of a 1:20. So I guess this stuff? Is this right? I then splat this at the back of the slabs and there you go a patio!

So my question is, do I have the right material besides the tools and slab.

Sponsored Links
I then splat this at the back of the slabs and there you go a patio!
:eek:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
100mm hardcore/ type 1/ mot whatever you want to call it..........compacted level (wacker plate helps) to form base.
i prefer to lay my slabs on a mix of whin dust and cement (they will never move).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back