Help-What qualifications do i need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking for help with choosing what course i should take to qualify as an electrician .

I have enquired about C&G 2330 parts 2&3 ,as i am working this is over 3 years on 2 evenings per week.

I would then do C&G 2381 and 2391.

Someone has told me that you can not qualify unless you have an nvq but again as i am looking to retrain ,at my age there is not a lot of chance of getting a job in the industry that i can live on whilst training.

Thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
Part time courses are good as far as they go, 2330, 2381 + 2391 is all you need to go self employed or working for a local spark, best course of action (imho) is to work for a spark to gain experience and still earn a few quid and do part time courses for qualifications. You can qualify without an NVQ, but your chosen career path post qualification will determine whether or not an NVQ is a good idea, I cant knock NVQ's as I used to help train apprentices in a factory for them, but us old timers with past qualifications get by without them, experience counts for everything after a certain age and no college can give you that for a fee.

Thanks, what i was looking at was possibly doing the course and my current job is mornings only would mean i could indeed find someone to allow me to work with them so gain hands on experience at the same time.

Plenty of sparks in Bristol to ask, did my 2391 at clarkson evans, staverton near gloucester, very good, but plenty of training available in bristol area too.
Are you intending to work for someone, a firm or yourself?
If you work for yourself then technically you only need to be able to prove competency and limit the work you take on to small non part p jobs, still plenty of it about. main established sparks wont touch small jobs.
Thats what I did after being made redundant, I did have the advantage of already being technically qualified, but it didn't harm to get the 2381 & 2391, anyway good luck and enjoy whatever you choose to do:cool:

Sponsored Links
Can anyone tell me what you need to do to prove you are a competant person.

Sorry but all the posts i am reading seem to say qualifications don't prove competance

thanks

competence comes with experience not reading from a book and answering multiple choice

7yrs is an unwritten rule ive heard

Yes very true . So i need the paper qualifications to prove i know the fundementals but as i have said whilst i am getting these as much work as i can squeeze in in my spare time with a working electrician,

More help please . What is a JIB card and is it a must have item. My currebnt thinking regarding my way forward when i have passed the above C&G courses is with Domestic work.

Thanks

BS-Steve, Dellsmp has pretty much covered everything here, and it's sound advice. Certainly, qualifications and experience must go hand in hand. If you can't get paid work at first you may well have to do a bit of voluntary work, but the experience is invaluable. I'm nearing the end of the second year of the 2330 myself.

Someone has told me that you can not qualify unless you have an nvq
Luckily, this is not the case, otherwise loads of us career changers would be b*****ed :LOL: ! In fact, afaik the NVQ is made up of the same C&G modules as the 2330 but with the added advantage of more hands on experience. We have to get this via part-time/voluntary work usually.

Of interest:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47796

Good luck!

Ukants

Thanks for that

Cheers
BS-Steve
__________________________-

locked to prevent hi jacking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back