Help with a problem with a lighting circuit

Well, I am sorry to hear you have dyslexia but it is not the reason for writing "u", isn't it? Are you studying to become an electrician?

No it wasn’t to be truthful, when I try typing fast I do make school boy errors and every time I post on here I have to check with word every time to make sure all punctuation, grammar and spelling is correct but there is times that things get by me.
Yes training to become an electrician, on last year now, shall be enrolling on the NVQ level 3 next month before it stops completely and then after that, the 17th edition and the 2391. I want to go to university to become an electrical design engineer when I have the job I am aiming for and that will fund me the 7500 pound roughly to be able to do so. Something that I never thought I could achieve but I will I am sure, a lot of hard work. In 3 years of this course I have 7 arch leaver files of work to date and most people can not understand why but it what it takes me to learn. All exams bar 1 has been top marks which was a credit (two marks away from distinction).

Sponsored Links
Yes I guess your correct on the circuit only being one circuit as it comes from one circuit breaker, although it not just feeding one little circuit (I believe).
You should be able to fit downstairs lighting on one circuit - 1.5mm cable will give you 59m.

I was going to go to one room(dinning room)/rose, feeding the two way and intermediate switches that controls the dinning room lighting:-
Is there a specific reason that you are using intermediates? Is it just to show that you know what they are - know how to wire them and how to use them. Or is it because there is a practical reason for using them?
two wall lamps rated at a 100W each and ten GU10 recess lamps rated at 50W each spot.
Think about what you are saying here - you are putting 700watts in single room?
You will fail this project if you do not take account of the Building Regulations. You will also need to take into account illumination laws that you should have been taught (inverse square laws).
From the feed/rose that comes down to the switch, I was going to spur from that and split the supply to go to the lounge where from another junction box/rose has been installed, there I was going to run down to the two way switching and up to lights etc, two 100W pendants and two 100W wall lights.
You are over complicating the issue.
Once again then splitting the supply to different roses controlling the hall lights:- two way switching with six GU10 recess lamps.
Outside front lights:- one way switching, two 100W coach lamps.
Out side back lights:- one way switching, two 100W coach lamps controlled by a PIR setting.
You do know that they don't make 100w incandescent lamps anymore (since September 2009)

I am sure even though it on one CB that the hall lighting would be on a seperate circuit than the lounge/dinning room lighting etc. The only reason I am splitting the feed is to just get the power directly to the switches? Please tell me if you know something different?

You are over complicating this project and in doing so are breaching various elements of the building regulations. To be honest you are better off designing a circuit that has one central ceiling rose in each room first. Then add a couple of wall lights in one room - the two way switches for the hallway and landing and leave it at that.

Yes I guess your correct on the circuit only being one circuit as it comes from one circuit breaker, although it not just feeding one little circuit (I believe).
You should be able to fit downstairs lighting on one circuit - 1.5mm cable will give you 59m.

I was going to go to one room(dinning room)/rose, feeding the two way and intermediate switches that controls the dinning room lighting:-
Is there a specific reason that you are using intermediates? Is it just to show that you know what they are - know how to wire them and how to use them. Or is it because there is a practical reason for using them?
two wall lamps rated at a 100W each and ten GU10 recess lamps rated at 50W each spot.
Think about what you are saying here - you are putting 700watts in single room?
You will fail this project if you do not take account of the Building Regulations. You will also need to take into account illumination laws that you should have been taught (inverse square laws).
From the feed/rose that comes down to the switch, I was going to spur from that and split the supply to go to the lounge where from another junction box/rose has been installed, there I was going to run down to the two way switching and up to lights etc, two 100W pendants and two 100W wall lights.
You are over complicating the issue.
Once again then splitting the supply to different roses controlling the hall lights:- two way switching with six GU10 recess lamps.
Outside front lights:- one way switching, two 100W coach lamps.
Out side back lights:- one way switching, two 100W coach lamps controlled by a PIR setting.
You do know that they don't make 100w incandescent lamps anymore (since September 2009)

I am sure even though it on one CB that the hall lighting would be on a seperate circuit than the lounge/dinning room lighting etc. The only reason I am splitting the feed is to just get the power directly to the switches? Please tell me if you know something different?

You are over complicating this project and in doing so are breaching various elements of the building regulations. To be honest you are better off designing a circuit that has one central ceiling rose in each room first. Then add a couple of wall lights in one room - the two way switches for the hallway and landing and leave it at that.

I do agree 100%, it just seems strange that they have gone about it this way? They gave us a list of the items that are to be installed but I am thinking that they have given us the project to see if we can say it will not work? If I was doing this for a customer I would have recommended that they took a different option and used different equipment.
The reason for intermediate switching was two way at bottom of the stairs as they not included any stair lights so thus I have put some of the hall way lights over the stairs hence a light at bottom. The intermediate switching at the top of stairs and another two way at the end of the hallway?

Sponsored Links
I do agree 100%, it just seems strange that they have gone about it this way? They gave us a list of the items that are to be installed but I am thinking that they have given us the project to see if we can say it will not work? If I was doing this for a customer I would have recommended that they took a different option and used different equipment.
Well perhaps you should do that as an alternative
The reason for intermediate switching was two way at bottom of the stairs as they not included any stair lights so thus I have put some of the hall way lights over the stairs hence a light at bottom. The intermediate switching at the top of stairs and another two way at the end of the hallway?
Personally, for stair way lighting I would only use intermediate switches if the stairs covered two floors or more. I would put the intermediate on the first floor landing and two way switches in the hallway and top landing.

Yes but they do make equipment with that rating though no?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/51500...rns/Polycarbonate/ASD-Coach-Lantern-PIR-Black

Just found one for an example this would be the outside light that I was thinking to use in my specification?

But surely the purpose of the project is to demonstrate your understanding of how to design a circuit to todays standards and that includes the Building Regulations. While it may say 100w you could always fit it with an equivalent energy saver lamp and stay within the regs.

riveralt";p="1877578 said:
Yes but
But surely the purpose of the project is to demonstrate your understanding of how to design a circuit to todays standards and that includes the Building Regulations. While it may say 100w you could always fit it with an equivalent energy saver lamp and stay within the regs.

I do like that idea and I think your talking a lot of sense on that note.
What type of product would you suggest to install, just as an example?
Thanks again.

http://www.energybulbs.co.uk/

Could these bulbs not be fitted in those holders/lamps? Well with a different rating etc, just as they are 100W rating don't mean u have to provide a 100W bulb? Just I only thought the maximum power (100W) was used as maximum load for your design current?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back