Help with Boiler / Room stat connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm a complete novice when it comes to anything boiler / plumbing related.

I have an Ariston Clas he boiler (am told it has volt free switching).

I have purchased a drayton Rf700 +2 stat.

Currently the only way i control the boiler is by turning it to on (1) or off (0) on the boiler itself - or by using the little dial as a timer.

I have 2 brown wires and one blue wire that i presume connects to the SCR - but i'm lost as to what connection i need to make.

I've called the Ariston technical helpline and they just tell me i need "volt free switching" and to connect to number 1.

Can anyone help me in simple terms (brown 1 goes to L, brown 2 to 1, blue to 3 etc)

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Page 24 of Ariston clas manual.
Pins 1 and 2 for the wall thermostat/external programmer.

Hi, thanks. Sorry if I sound thick - but I have 3 wires (2 brown, 1 blue). Currently the 2 brown are connected to each other via a choc block and the blue is on it own - this makes my boiler work (albeit by manual control on the front of the boiler)

Sponsored Links
You actually need 4 wires connecting to the receiver unit: L & N are mains, 1 and 3 are the volts free connections.if in doubt get someone in, it will be cheaper than goosing the pcb, which might happen if you get it wrong.

Hi, thanks. Sorry if I sound thick - but I have 3 wires (2 brown, 1 blue). Currently the 2 brown are connected to each other via a choc block and the blue is on it own - this makes my boiler work (albeit by manual control on the front of the boiler)

The manual shows the switch and it is between pins 1 and 2.
Compare the manual to your boiler. It should be fairly clear to someone
with a very basic knowledge of electric. If you don't understand it.
I suggest you should leave electrics well alone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back