Help with cleaning / repairing my washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 2005-vintage Hoover Performa 1100 washer dryer* (used once per week) has always worked well but last week it became unable to pump its water out completely. It therefore will not spin either. After some online research, it seems likely that the pump is either clogged or broken.

On this machine there is NO filter access at the front or side, so (having switched it off and disconnected it) I got it out and took the backplate off. But the inside of my machine looks nothing like any of the online sketches / photos - see attached.

If it has a filter, I cannot see it. Neither can I identify the pump. The hose that drains the drum is soft, flexible rubber with a 'gravity trap' that (given a squeeze) appears to be empty. This hose is held onto a small black component by a giant spring clip - certainly not something that the user is intended to remove and clean. After that the water goes to drain via a hose (and second spring clip) .

What do you reckon needs doing? Can the user do it themselves? I am quite willing to clean the pump myself providing special tools are not needed. I might even be able to replace it if I know where to get hold of a new one.

Thanks for suggestions / advice.

Alison
Edinburgh

*Serial numbers:

Mod WA110-001
N 37613924 0016 1463
G 0011
TYpe WD03 -- 13A

Attachments

• PA170005.JPG
    PA170005.JPG
    430.6 KB · Views: 272
  • PA170003.JPG
    PA170003.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think it's a good move to at least inspect the internals of the pump, in the first picture.
To release those clips, use a large pair of pliers to squeeze the lugs of the clip together, and slide them out of the way. The hoses then slip off.
You should be able to spin the pump impeller with a finger, and you'll probably get one from espares if you suspect it's gone AWOL.
John :)

Thanks, Burnerman. Well, I managed to get the flexible 'gravity trap' hose off the pump and have a look inside. Pictures attached. The pump blades can be seen via my bathroom mirror. They appear to be clear and can be rotated fairly easily with a finger tip. Each blade feels slightly stiff but if you push a bit harder it flops round. Same with all 4 blades. Should they spin freely or be a bit stiff? It's clearly not seized but I don't know how it should move. There were no foreign bodies in there; just small pieces of wet lint.

The other clip is impossible to remove because it faces the floor, so you cannot get your hand into position to apply the pliers. The only way to access it would be to turn the machine on its side. But there's probably no need as it seems the pump is free.

Insdie the 'gravity trap' was a small, thin piece of slightly corroded metal (60mm x 2mm; see pic. I have absolutely no idea where this has come from but could it be significant? Part of something that's failed?

Where to go from here?

Attachments

• PA180006.JPG
    PA180006.JPG
    526 KB · Views: 272
  • PA180007.JPG
    PA180007.JPG
    533.1 KB · Views: 256
  • PA180004.JPG
    PA180004.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 265
We'll done for getting stuck in so far!
These water pumps always have a 'step' feel as you rotate it with your finger.....whether this is over stiff in yours is impossible to say. The stiffness comes from the ' no metal contact' with the pump motor, and the only real way to test it is to compare it with another one, or disconnect it from the machine, couple it up to a mains supply and see how it spins.
The rogue piece of metal could be anything that has been in the drum.....paper clip from a pocket - goodness knows what but chuck it away!
There are other sensors around that control the water pump, in particular those that monitor pressure in the drum so a faulty pump is not definite.
How about calling an independent appliance engineer now? After all, the machine is ready to work on, clean and ready for work so it shouldn't cost too much.....I'd hate you to chuck money at it by guess work - we've all been there!

Sponsored Links
I may end up doing that! I am out of ideas now and the last thing I want to do is flood my nice downstairs neighours.

I've done a quick internet search and there are some appliance people who will come and have a look for a fixed price that then includes the cost of installing whatever's needed. There are others who give free estimates but of course it's all factored in when they install new parts. Any idea which is more cost-effective? If it's not the pump then I don't know what it might be. (Your sensors for example; maybe other possibilities.)

The fixed price call out is the way to go, as there could be more than one part needed. However......
Your machine is 12 years old now, which is above average service for such an appliance. No business of mine, but have you considered a replacement from the likes of AO.com? They'll install, take the old one away, recycle packaging etc.

Rather than trying to connect your pump to a 240v supply it would be better to measure the voltage supplied at the pump during a drain cycle.
If yo have a voltage then the pump needs replacing if not then you have a different problem.

Thanks, Burnerman. I will look at AO.com etc, though cash limitations is going to be the problem. (I am a pensioner.) The fixed-price call out appears to be around £50. How much for parts pepends what the problem is, I suppose.. A 'universal pump' costs £20. A new machine seems to be upwards of £200. Is there VAT to pay on top of that?

JJ4091, thanks for the suggestion but I do not have that kind of kit and in any case I don't want to put any more water in the machine. What I could not bail out before ended up on the kitchen floor and I now have loadsa filthy towels that I cannot wash, doh.

Any quoted price from AO or whatever includes VAT and delivery.....extras are installation, removal of the old appliance, removal of packaging or whatever.
The call out fee you mention is about right, and there will be parts on top of course. At least any honourable repairer will guarantee his work / parts etc.
I guess this is the route you'll have to take - some firms offer 'refurbished' appliances but the degree of refurbishment can't be guaranteed!
Good luck with this - and well done so far!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back