Help with confusing window-handle screw.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys - this is my first post here. I'm hoping someone can help me out as I've been losing my mind over this the last few days.

I am currently changing the window handles on a lot of the windows in my house. There’s no internal mechanism, just cockspur handles lodging against the back of a wedge. The first set have been no problem at all: tiny Phillips head screws that I’ve just taken out and put back in with the new handle:

Picture 1:

However, I’ve come across a batch with a screw I cannot seem to get out no matter what I try. I’ve asked at hardware stores and locksmiths, and ideas have ranged from them needing allen or star keys (haven’t worked), to someone suggesting I’ll need to do a tap and die to get the screw out (seems a bit over the top).

I’ve attached a picture of the handle here (Picture 2), and a more close-up shot that tries to show what it looks like inside (Pictures 3 and 4). I did try to unlock it with a square-shaped screwdriver bit last night. It was the closet I got to getting anywhere: the piece fit, but it didn’t work in the end.

Picture 2:

Picture 3:

Picture 4:

I'm running out of ideas now, so hopefully someone here can help me out. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Does look like square drive bit is required [there are two sizes maybe you had wrong one] or they are riveted on and require drilling off.

Its a pop rivet, the flush fitting type not the normal domed head type, i'm sure theres a proper term for them but if you google image flush headed pop rivet you see how they work, they're kind of countersunk

Sponsored Links
That was my first thought crank39 but in the last pic there seems to be a square recess at the bottom.

That was my first thought crank39 but in the last pic there seems to be a square recess at the bottom.

Know what you mean but i'm pretty sure its a pop rivet, can't be anything much longer as the glass is right there, bet the screws only 1cm long

Thats another thing, be careful drilling otherwise i can see you needing a new DGU

Hi guys, thank you so much for your advice, that is a great help! Is it tricky to replace the rivets?

I'm guessing, drilling-wise, the right way to go it: enough pressure, but not too much, etc? I don't want to go through the glass!

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help!

I'm sure they are rivets too...aluminium ones are dead easy to drill, just don't use a drill bit thats too big.
Start at say a 3mm bit, then going up to 4mm and so on. If your luck is really in, the entire rivet will come out on the drill bit!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back