Help with cracked nut on hot water valve on washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The nut directly below the shut off valve has a crack in it and water is streaming out. Since it is below the valve, I have to shut off the main water supply to get it to stop.

I have tried taking the nut off, but it seems as if it is welded onto a pipe. I can't see what is below the bolt as it sits on top of the plastic box that has the hot, cold, and drain.

Any idea how to replace this nut? Would something like Liquid Nails seal off this hairline crack? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Looks like it is a little late. I tried loosening the nut just a little and now there is a big leak in the walls...went under in the crawl space to confirm. Evidently the nut was attached to that pipe and the pipe is now cracked.

So now I take it I need to cut away the wall, cut the pipe, and reinstall? If so, I will need to call a plumber for that one.

I uploaded the image in my album...hopefully you can see that. The crack is right in front. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for posting. It is the nut in the bottom picture. How in the world that thing has a crack in it when it has been tightened and untightened maybe 3-4 times ever is beyond me.

Just trying to figure out now how to fix this.

From the picture it would seem that over the pond they have some kind of recessed box that comes with water supplies and drainage point.
Never seen such a thing, But at a guess you got to locate pipe underneath that feeds valve.
cut pipe rejoin using coupling presume its half inch pipe, and fit a replacement washing machine valve.
a reasonable job for a confidant DIYr

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back