Help with damp?!?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few problems with damp that I could really use some help with!!!

Having bought my first property, a terraced two bedroom, a year ago, I have noticed two patches of damp! Nightmare!

The first is in an upstairs bedroom, in the top righthand corner of the wall that joins next door. It's in the corner that connects to the exterior wall but that shows no signs of damp at all. I do not know if next door is showing the same signs as me.

The second patch is downstairs. The staircase separates the living room and dining room, but previous owners have cut an arch under the stairs to join the two rooms, so you can walk in a circle around the staircase. The entire wall surrounding the staircase shows signs of damp, this time from the bottom, about 18-20 inches high. This is not connected to exterior Walls in anyway.

Anyone know a probable cause of these?. Also it's worth mentioning that I work away quite a lot so the house is sometimes empty, windows closed and heating off. Could these be attributable?

Any help/advise is really appreciated!

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Lack of heat could be the issue! My bungalow previous owner decided to blck every air brick with silicone as well as screw every window shut. It has cavity wall insulation too which does n't let the house breath..

A hour blast of heat in the morning and evening doesn't help in my house with condensation. I am in the process of removing old double glazed windows and still get black patches in the obvious rooms kitchen and bathroom.

Thanks for replying!

The damp isn't stained as far as I can tell, but it could be as the walls are painted in a fashionable (according to the missus) brown! :eek:(

Is there a gadget on the Market that can test for damp or a reputable company I can call to come test and give advise?

I am getting new double glazing in the new year and I am putting the heating on in the morning and evening over the winter period, regardless of whether I'm there or not!

Is it possible the problem down to poor circulation of air?

Sponsored Links
Can't see it being condensation if no-one is home. I'd guess you have a problem with the gutter upstairs and rising damp downstairs. Should be a quick cheap and easy fix.

The damp isn't stained as far as I can tell,

Well how can you see it then?

Dampness, ie actual water, will stain the wall. Condensation will be typically black mould

A damp meter will be no good to you as you you wont know how to interpret the results. A high moisture metre reading does not mean that the is a damp issue

Can't see it being condensation if no-one is home.

The OP is using heating only in the morning and at night - the worst thing for condensation .... as in between use the air cools and condenses

Yeah but where is the water vapour coming from? Usually breathing and washing and stuff. Empty house means no water vapour to condense. Not cold enough yet anyway.

There is up to 90% vapour in the air anyway, without anyone breathing

Then why doesn't it condense in my house - or anyone else I know?

It does not condense in our house either, and there is washing on the rads, lots of ironing from one of those steam generator things, and the kids don't open windows in the bathroom etc.

Every property is different

Which is why I don't think it is condensation. Not cold enough yet.

So what's to do then gents?

First property and inexperienced, do I call a company to come take a look?

No. The damp industry are charlatans. Just keep working on it until you find it. It's no big deal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back