Help with dimmable led gu10

You are confused. They are not transformers, but switch mode power supplies, see post 2.
STOP IT

It doesn't matter what they are, were or what they should be called in La La Land.
They are no longer connected and not part of the issue.

Sponsored Links
I thought it was called a transformer, they were halolite 20-60w/va model ha-se60. And can confirm completely removed. It is indeed the lamp closest to switch that is not flickering. About to check connections on each fitting.

Have just reconnected every wire on the circuit and noticed that on one of the round junction boxes the live tail was protruding too far and touching its own cable. Anyway, fitted it correctly and all good.
Thank you everyone especially mikeyd

Excellent, glad you got it sorted. :) I can't take the majority of the credit though, others did clarify things before I replied. And then one certain person waded in and distracted and confused matters.

Sponsored Links
FWIW, when I read questions from joe public on DIYNOT i assume:

MR16 = low voltage*
GU10 = Mains
Transformer = things that change Mains to low voltage*

I don't give it a moments thought that any of these things could or should be called anything else (unless it is ambiguous) . I also don't care if someone politely (while helping) points out that a MR16 doesn't necessarily mean low voltage*. But it does throw threads off track when all someone can do is be pedantic.

* Yes I know, waiting for him to correct me :)

model ha-se60

$_57.JPG

So, isn't that 11.4v AC output?

That's not what you said.

Actually that is what I said. OK :) Sorry, I admit I probably should have initially said, after "when I read questions from joe public on DIYNOT" is "That it's a safe bet to assume, if it's obvious" rather than just "i assume"

In the context of this thread, which, again, you have contributed nothing of any value to the OP. The importance was to determine which lamps he had, GU5.3 or GU10.

If you have an issue with the MR16 term like you do with the term transformers, take your soapbox to the manufacturers and (mostly) resellers.

In the context of this thread it was not clear what he had as MR16 can be one of a number of voltages and one of any number of bases.

I thought it was called a transformer, they were halolite 20-60w/va model ha-se60. And can confirm completely removed. It is indeed the lamp closest to switch that is not flickering. About to check connections on each fitting.

Well you have learnt something.

FWIW, when I read questions from joe public on DIYNOT i assume:

MR16 = low voltage*
GU10 = Mains
Transformer = things that change Mains to low voltage*

I don't give it a moments thought that any of these things could or should be called anything else (unless it is ambiguous) . I also don't care if someone politely (while helping) points out that a MR16 doesn't necessarily mean low voltage*. But it does throw threads off track when all someone can do is be pedantic.

All 3 of your assumptions are wrong. It is very dangerous to assume with electricity. So learn:

MR16 is the size of the reflector, nothing to do with the voltage.

GU10 is a type of base, also nothing to do with the voltage.

Transformer is a device that changes voltage or current by electromagnetic induction, or in an isolated case does not change voltage or current but isolates the input from the output.

* Mains is low voltage.

Nothing pedantic about that, just correct facts that could save you from a nasty shock or even death.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back