Help with electrical problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok i'm not a sparkie but about a year ago i had new wiring put in my house, totaly gutted and new junction box. Ever since i have had faint interfearence on my computer and now showing on my tv downstairs. Horizontal and diagonal lines.
What could be causing this you knowlegable people? Being a council house they are pretty much saying nothing we can do so i'm desperate to find the cause. Any ideas?
Thanks for any info guys
D

Sponsored Links
Try switching off individual circuits at the consumer unit and see if the interference goes away, bit difficult with the one suppling your computer, maybe run an extension from next door for this experiment. Sometimes 2 way lighting circuits can affect computer screens if they are wired in a certain way, but in a domstic situation that would be unusual.

Hey CB, i have shut off individual lines but the interfearence didnt disappear, could try getting some juice from next door. Would this problem be easy for a spark to find?

There is nothing you could have done with simple wiring that would cause interference on the PC monitor or TV. The culprit will be something plugged into the circuits, such as:
Dimmer switches (especially those touch ones - I had on that completely killed my broadband when switched on).
Any sort of motor with a duff suppressor system - fridge, CH pump etc
Anything with a switched mode power supply - some mobile phone chargers for example,
Other PC monitors or TVs!
If you switch everything else off and it still appears, its probably interference from outside.

Sponsored Links
Well turning all the circuits off didnt cure it and i can pretty much swear it's not external. We also had new central heating put in(radiators/gas boiler) could this cause it in anyway? there does seem an ungodly amount of earthing wires attached to the pipes. other than that i'm stumped. the only other thing i had installed was broadband cable but cant see that being the culprit surely.

Beats me! Are you sure its not external? No radio amateurs moved into the area? Or CB'ers? (does anyone use that any more?).

I can't think of any wiring fault that could put lines onto TVs/monitors via the mains supply unless it was interference from something else (and I'm a chartered electronics engineer).

No radio enthusiasts near here, i am seriously annoyed at this, all the council did is send some guy round with an meter of some sort to check the power levels in all sockets. He said they were fine. I've had a couple of peeps say wires sparking can cause interfearence of this sort? either way the council wont help(rich considering they put the wiring in) and will most likely have to get an electrician in.
Is there an hand held meters i can buy that sniff out EMI/RF ? if i can pin point where it's coming from in the house it's a start.

Wires sparking could cause flashes of interference, but not continuous lines. And you would also hear that on any radios in the house.

I have seen this sort of interference on analogue TVs due to cross-channel interference when the atmospheric conditions are suitable (especially a problem if you live near the east coast near France apparently).

But not on PC monitors.

RF monitors that are any use for this sort of problem are horrendously expensive (thousand of pounds).

You could try contacting the government Radio Agency if you think it is external interference. They have a legal obligation to resolve EMC (Electromagnetic compatibility ) problems when there is an offender involved. But don't expect a quick fix from them!

PS - Most EMI problems would be beyond the skill levels of the average electrician. Don't waste money that way if the council's electrician has already checked the basic earthing etc.

Ok so i have some sort of interfearence but cant work out whats causing it, what are my options? could any sort of bad/cheap wiring cause this? something not earthed properly?
I'd like to say thanks anyway bignairy for all your replies, very apreciated :)

I'd just like to echo bignairy's advice - don't bother calling in an electrician on this one. Nowt to do with us!! :D

yes it is, you could chrage lots of money to establish it is nothing to do with us

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude to any electricians, but this isn't a 50Hz domestic mains problem!

David F - Has anyone else who lives near you had the same problems?

The most likely culprit from what you have said aounds to be the cable system. Has to be something emitting rf. Cable has all sorts of junk in it. You did try turning it off? though that wouldn't necessarily stop it, if its coming from the cable feed. Anyone stick a big cable booster just outside?

Maybe they connected up a few more earths, like adding in the cable feed. Just concievably might do it. Earths aren't necessarily quite so earthy at high frequencies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back