Help with external wall design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all hope someone can help with so guidance.

I'm doing a small kitchen extension on the back of the house, where it joins the conservatory I was going to leave it as a single skin wall (see pic).

I'm doing things right so involved building control and of course as the conservatory is unheated the wall now needs to be a cavity.

You can see from my pic, when I take out the patio doors and build up the internal leaf it will end up blocking the existing patio doors from the house.

Rather than taking out the house ptio doors and fitting smaller ones, how about this:

Leave the wall as a single skin but then have some kind of insulated timber frame with plasterboard on the kitchen side of the wall.

Would this be accepted by building control & and ideas how to design it?

I was thinking a timber frame from the inner leaf that you can see ends in the kitchen back to the house wall then kingspan and a vapour barrier plasterboarded over. Leaving a 50mm air gap between the timber fram and the single skin wall.

Many thanks Anthony

[/img]

EDIT: the patio doors between the kitchen and conservatory are existing but will go when the single skin wall is built.

Sponsored Links
The requirement is for the wall to be insulated to the standard of an external wall, it does not needed to be a cavity wall.

Search some of the garage conversion posts to see how to insulate it. 60mm of celotex fixed to the wall will do it. Or knock it down and build a 100mm timber stud with 100mm celotex between the studs

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back