Help with light switch

fair point, virtual pint says he changed the switch and light

Sponsored Links
no dont think so his original post says light switch with three red cables, i've never seen a light fitting fed with three red cables

its the last bit where the op mentions fitting that makes me wonder

Sponsored Links
he does call it a fitting from the outset, first line i want to replace an old light switch, second line I\\\'ve bought a replacement fitting

yes, but i am being pedantic (sorry) i am now wondering if we have frightend him off though

rf lighting, he says i unscrewed the old fitting and it has three wires going into it, all of them red, not loop in if only reds

Hi fellas
I'm back again. Thanks for all the posts. Just to clarify a couple of things....1. i'm a girl and 2. I just changed a light switch not the actual light (wrong wording sorry). The old switch had a rectangular bit of black plastic in the middle of it (don't what the tech term is) with three holes that the three wires went into. The new one I have a bog standard one also with three holes. I took Craftys advise, labelled the wires in old one before I removed it and reconnected in corresponding holes in new one. Don't want to get an electrician in for what should be a dead easy job - any ideas chaps??

How were the terminals in the old switch labelled? C or COM, L1 & L2?

And how are the new ones labelled? The same, or L1, L2 & L3?

Do you still have the old switch? If you put it back, is everything OK?

bre you will have to help us here, what cables are they one twin and one single or three single cables?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back