help with replacing a 2gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you please advise I am trying to replace an old switch in my kitchen it is a 2gang 2way switch however not sure how to correctly wire this as the old one was wired with a 3 core cable ?yellow blue red.

Sponsored Links
Socket outlet or a switch for lighting. You're not making it clear.

2 gang switched socket

K2747WHI.jpg

2 gang 2 way switch

k4872.jpg

Can you please advise I am trying to replace an old socket in my kitchen it is a 2gang 2way switched socket, however not sure how to correctly wire this as the old one was wired with a 3 core cable ?yellow blue red.

Old wiring was red, black, grn /y- not sure what yours is. Have you disconnected the old socket yet ?

If not, is there no indication on that socket of neutral, live and earth termination points ?

If yes, then you need to make the cable safe with terminal blocks / tape or a temp cased junction box. Then you will have to trace the cable back to it's 'other end' which should be a nearby socket or fused spur box.

It you cant do this have you access to a test meter ?

Please make sure the circuit is isolated and off at the fuse board before doing an intrusive work.

Sponsored Links
The two way put the red in the ( com ) on the top of switch and the yellow and blue in ( L1 ) and ( L2 ) either way doent matter.

The two way put the red in the ( com ) on the top of switch and the yellow and blue in ( L1 ) and ( L2 ) either way doent matter.
Have you been round there and looked to see which terminals the conductors are in in the other switch?

Can you please advise I am trying to replace an old switch in my kitchen it is a 2gang 2way switch however not sure how to correctly wire this as the old one was wired with a 3 core cable ?yellow blue red.
What's wrong with the idea of wiring the new one the same way as the old one?

If it is a 2 gang switch it could be 2xswitch lines and one feed. Otherwise what is the other switch for?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back