Help with snapped pull cord light switch please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help or ideas needed please concerning a snapped pull cord light switch? The cord has snapped at the very top leaving only a small plastic part no longer than 10mm sticking out with no means of joining the cord back, ideally id fit a new cord but the rose has been painted that much that i will no longer unscrew in order to replace cord, any suggestions please? Thanks

Sponsored Links
the rose has been painted that much that i will no longer unscrew in order to replace cord, any suggestions please?
ae235

Yeah. Use the Stanley to cut round the cover.

Then if it still won't budge, I use a variety of techniques to get it off:

rubber strap wrench to undo it, if hand pressure is insufficient.

tap the edges gently with a hammer.

use the wrench to tighten it slightly, then loosen. This is surprisingly effective, if counter-intuitive.

Sponsored Links
Don't you just love those painted on accessories!
It looks like a hammer job to me!

Very likely to be much easier to replace the whole thing than just the cord, but that would depend on the condition of the cables connected to it.

PrenticeBoyofDerry";p="3347453 said:
Don't you just love those painted on accessories!
(It looks like a hammer job to me!) Wiring's as old as the house wich is pretty old! I replaced a double light switch an that was a big enough task, thought i could just match wire for wire on the new switch but its that old it was all different wiring! Think il try stanley on the paint an if that fails il get the hammer out! Thanks Guys for the help!!!!

Heating the cover of the switch can make it expand enough to break the seized thread on the base. A towel in soaked in hot water and then wrapped around the switch might be enough.

Fold the towel into a narrow strip, Soak only the middle of the strip in the hot water leaving the ends dry so you can hold them without scalding your hands

Turn the power OFF at the mains before wrapping the wet towel round the switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back