Help with temporary moving water heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move the hot water heater for a couple of days, to fit plasterboard and join it etc.

It has a 22mm cold water fitting at the top. The cold water fitting is inaccessible as it is at the back of the heater and corner of the wall. Two nuts for the drain.

I'm ok with disconnecting the immersion heater. Just need help with the plumbing.

Do, I have to drain the tank? I only need to move it a couple of feet.

I'm assuming I will have to use a pipe cutter on the cold water pipe and use a compression fitting or solder it back. I guess I need to turn main water off.

How can I avoid the same problem, that I had when doing changing the plumbing in the kitchen? Where hot water stopped running, until I lowered the hot water tap on the sink to the floor to get it to flow. I assume, this is like a syphon effect, where water will travel up hill but only if the exit is lower than the entrance.

Thanks for advice.

Thanks for advice.

Sponsored Links
If you are referring to moving a hot water cylinder, then you will need to disconnect all pipework on it and also empty, or at least get most of the water out in order to move the cylinder. The cold feed pipe feeding the cylinder will (usually) have a gate valve for isolation purposes. If this is seized then draining will also involve draining the storage tank in the loft.
Use pipe cutters and for ease when refitting, use compression joints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back