HELP WITH WILY PUMP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, need some help with replacing my new wilo water pump in my boiler...
I am having difficulty with the wiring on the new pump.
when i removed my old pump i discovered 4 wires (brown (live), blue (neutral), green/yellow (earth) and black (ground).

However the new pump instructions booklet shows only a three wire connection (live, neutral and earth).

so, my question is... where does the 4th wire go? ie. in this case the black ground wire.

Sponsored Links
Is this pump integral to the boiler? If so it may be a variable speed pump controlled by the boiler and you need to obtain the pump specific to the boiler.

Hi Mike,

Yes the existing pump is within the boiler body... So, that means I can't use any of these aftermarket pumps then...

I thought this would be an easy check if the pump was faulty on the boiler. The boiler will automatically fire up and permanently stay on, heat up and then cut out within 3 mins or so and won't go back on, unless I reset the safety temperature cut-out switch.

The same thing will happen again once the temperature safety switch is reset, if I don't get the water to flow out from somewhere, i.e. turn the warm taps on or get the water being heated inside the boiler to divert to central heating. It has to be kept on with a warm water supply going out from it to prevent the boiler from overheating and cutting out again. And, I can only have one or the other, hot water or central heating.

I have replaced the temperature sensors (thermisters) for both sanitary water and central heating, but had no luck with it..

:confused:

Hi its possible to swap the control box from your old pump to your new one, undo the 2 phillips screws shown in your picture and the control box pulls off. You should be able to then swap them over just check they are the same I have done this myself and it worked fine Paul.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Paul,

I'll check if that's possible, but I'm thinking the only thing that may be an issue could be that the new pump has a control knob for 3 speed settings and the old one didn't because it's a variably controlled one by the boiler, as Mike mentioned earlier.
But, then again if I'm able to swap the control bax, this shouldn't be an issue?

It worked fine on the boiler when I swapped them over so should be ok (mines still running 18 months on) Paul.

I am thinking the problem lies more to do with the actual control box of my old pump, therefore, I was hoping to replace that with the new one on the pump itself.

I think it would be possible to just swap the control box wires over to the new pump one as described in the 2nd pic, and the black (ground) wire would be like a 3-phase connection.. i.e. double earth connection.

But, im no electrician and would just like to clarify this before doing so.

I think it would be possible to just swap the control box wires over to the new pump one as described in the 2nd pic, and the black (ground) wire would be like a 3-phase connection.. i.e. double earth connection.

That is nothing whatsoever akin to a 3phase connection so I would hold your horses a mo

what is the pump model (original)
what is the boiler make/model

Matt

Hi Matt,

The original pump is a SariGas which is within the boiler body. The boiler is a SariGas F20A

If there is a problem with the pump then its likely to be within the pump body and not the connection box.

I have never seen a Sarigas boiler and I am impressed that it modulated the pump as the only other two that I know of are the Keston and Vaillant.

If the new pump head fits then I suggest to prove to yourself if the pump is at fault you could fit the new pump and power it from a mains plug, fused at 3A .

Tony

If there is a problem with the pump then its likely to be within the pump body and not the connection box.

I have never seen a Sarigas boiler and I am impressed that it modulated the pump as the only other two that I know of are the Keston and Vaillant.

If the new pump head fits then I suggest to prove to yourself if the pump is at fault you could fit the new pump and power it from a mains plug, fused at 3A .

Tony

I've never come across a sarigas boiler either!
you can add Viessmann to your list too Tony as some of theirs use rebadged wilo and grunfoss modulating pumps too, Vitodens 300 for one

Matt

In answer to your other thread the hot water flow switch/turbine is stuck in the on position, chances are there is nothing wrong with your pump.

A turbine can stick but as its operation is to give a pulsed output then when stuck it gives no output and the boiler will not recognise a demand for HW.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back