HELP!

A room in a day?

So its all one coat stuff then?

Pole sanding walls and ceilings?

Filling and spot priming walls and ceiling?

Abrading, caulking and filling woodwork?

Removing door furniture, protecting carpets, removing curtains?

Drying times alone do not allow for a room a day, and a decently prepped room cannot be done in a day. No wonder your so cheap

Sponsored Links
I can do it. Why can't you? I use a little lithium screwdriver and the door furniture is removed in moments. As I said - two quick coats of the same colour will cover fine. I only use WB paints now so skirtings and the like are done in minutes.

It's a weeks job. How much do you charge for a weeks labour?

Its not the painting that takes the time its the preparation. On long runs in large rooms and new build i've painted thirty litres plus of paint a day easily and can cut in and roll as quickly as most.

Painting can be an odd business, many clients and firms care more about how fast you are and not how good you are, the latter is far more important to me

I'm perfectly capable of toshing out rooms, but anyone can do that, then come crying on here when it all goes wrong, such as the magical one coat liquid gold crap you were so fond of, its alright for toshing i suppose but cheap paints usually come back and bite you in the arse.

My prices vary as to what i'm doing, i do the odd rental which is always a tosh but also work in million pound plus, listed and period properties that require quality finishes using quality paints with more than a little knowledge.

You do your thing and i'll do mine and the world still spins

I'm visualizing what I see as a weeks work. Maybe you visualize two weeks work. We ain't seen it mate, no need to get all agressive.

Sponsored Links
Not really, i see it as "how well can i do that job?" you see it as "how fast can i do that job?"
Like i said we operate differently and i realise i'm in the minority but i'm anal and have to give it my best other wise i couldn't do the job, perhaps its a bad thing that i went to college, which doesn't automatically make you a good decorator but if you're paying attention it does teach you what the industry standard is, and i have rarely seen that standard from work i've seen by other dec's.
I apologise if i've come over aggressive, i didn't mean to, just pointing out that in my opinion (and at the end of the day thats all it is) a room cannot be done to a pro standard in a day, or at the very least i couldn't do it.

But you have to ask the OP what he wants to pay for the perfect job.

Which, as a very competent plasterer I can give him.

If he wants very good - he gets that in a day if the room is already very good but tired.

If not - then two days.

We don't really know to be honest, we haven't seen it.

Sorry guys, didnt mean to cause a arguement! Most of the rooms are in ok nick, one got a deep blue ceiliong and skirting boards and I want them white so that might take a bit of work. Also all the skirting boards and woodwork is glossed, i'm not sure how long that would take to redo. What would you say was the best way of dsealing with old gloss, nitromors or a heat gun?

I've just bought a flat in the south side of Glasgow, its in need of some major TLC! This is the first flat I've bought so I'm completely new to how much everything costs etc. I'm looking to get a rough price for the redeocrating of it as my job means I dont have enought time to do all the work my self. I dont need any wallpapering and no paper needs stripped, just painting, the room sizes are:

LOUNGE - 18'9" x 13'10" (5.72m x 4.22m)
BEDROOM 1 - 16' x 11' (4.88m x 3.35m)
BEDROOM 2 - 11'11" x 11'4" (3.63m x 3.45m)
BEDROOM 3 - 10'3" x 9'11" (3.12m x 3.02m)

One bedrrom has some fairley inticate corninsing, the skirting boards / woodwork are all glossed in every room (buts its turned yellow and looks nasty) so would need stripped back and glossed again. Due to it being a tenement flat the ceilings are high in each room as well. My question is what would be a reasonable price to have each room painted including skirting boards and door frames? I have no idea about this so would appreciate the info!

Check out this article to get more information on pricing: http://www.getproquotes.co.uk/prices-and-costs/painting-prices.php

Ignore the spammer.

Don't take the old gloss off. Sand it, then undercoat it. The finish of your choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back