Help?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently doing up a fixer-upper house ready to hopefully move in in around 3 weeks time...

I'm trying to get an electrician in to fit an extra socket in the bedroom (plus other small jobs) but after 3 electricians and nearly 3 weeks later i still havnt had quotes back.

Now I'm not in a huge rush to get the other jobs done, but I need the bedroom socket put in ASAP as I have a decorator and carpet fitter waiting to crack and I need everything in that room done by 25th April as I have bedroom furniture coming on that day. The furniture is fully assembled, which I'm hoping to just put in place and close the door and the bedroom will be finished (and will be ready to move in).

Now my question - As it seems unlikely to be able to get the socket put in with enough time, do you think it would be acceptable for me to just put in the back box and some flexible pipe from the socket location under the floor boards out to the landing (which will have exposed floor boards while we complete everything) so that the leccy could you come and feed the cables through the pipes and connect it when hes available?

Would that cause any problems or go against any regulations? or any other ideas on how to negotiate the situation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Rob

Sponsored Links
Well its certainly a good idea to fit the back box now.

I wouldn't run conduit but 2.5mm cable instead.

Have a look at other sockets in the room, if there is a socket with 2 cables, try and run the new cable to this socket.

And to be quite honest, if you get that far you may as well complete the job!

Well its certainly a good idea to fit the back box now.

I wouldn't run conduit but 2.5mm cable instead.

Have a look at other sockets in the room, if there is a socket with 2 cables, try and run the new cable to this socket.

And to be quite honest, if you get that far you may as well complete the job!

Cheers for the reply.

The problem is, my knowledge of electrical installation is about as little as it gets!

There is a double socket in there, but i don't know if it has 2 cables running up to it, and it is now behind a fresh coat of plaster!

Is it possible to run it straight from the consumer unit? or another room?

Sponsored Links
I've just done a bit of research and realise I really am a bit of an idiot.

I guess the job doesnt sound THAT hard, however what I think I'm going to do is check the current socket for the 2 cables, if it has them then I will run a cable from the existing socket to the new socket but I think I'l wait for the electrician just to check it and connect it all up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back