Henry Hoover no power or intermittent power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Henry Hoover, does not power up and sometimes when it does it switches off and doesn't come back on.

I have bypassed the pcb which is a common issue. Still same problem. The brushes look fine.

I haven't changed the on and off switch but when I use a live tester it doesn't indicate any power in the cable but it does at the plug (and I have changed the fuse).

Am guessing the contacts are fine and there's something wrong with the cable?

Any advice please?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Wire up motor to mains safely and try it. If that works fine work back.
Could be a break in cable so cheap multi tester and test continuity.

Wire up motor to mains safely and try it. If that works fine work back.
Could be a break in cable so cheap multi tester and test continuity.
I think it would be much safer and better to carry out your suggestion the other way round ie a continuity test first & then if he has a multimeter check for a supply at the switch or whatever the cable connects to inside the machine before trying to test the motor.

Reactions: CBW
The cable was faulty and I replaced it. However when I put it back together the cable is stiff to come out and winding it is stiff too.

Sponsored Links
Did you replace the whole cable with the correct specification one? It's usually the last 3-6 inches that break on them.(the end going into the motor. At the repair café I volunteer at. We strip them down, chop a foot of the end and wire them back in. Send it over to our PAT guy and out of the door with a happy client.

It seems to be due to the tightening of the screws when assembling the unit back. If they're bit loose it works ok'ish without any screws it works fine but obviously it needs screws.

Cable is 0.75mm 3 core. The 2 core available in shops isn't round but flat. So opted for the 3 core round.

It seems to be due to the tightening of the screws when assembling the unit back. If they're bit loose it works ok'ish without any screws it works fine but obviously it needs screws.

Cable is 0.75mm 3 core. The 2 core available in shops isn't round but flat. So opted for the 3 core round.
so it's not the same spec then? Contact Numatic and get the right cable. or just chop a foot off the original

That will be thicker, stiffer cable to wind back in. Get the proper two core round cable, which I suspect is probably 0.50mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back