Herringbone Strap 400mm ?

Sponsored Links
Sorry I missunderstood I thought you were talking herringbone noggins rather than standard noggins
I see you actually ment strapping :oops: :oops:

Use noggins as they will give better support and stop twisting

Sponsored Links
Herringbone strutting is better for stopping joists twisting than solid blocking, though it is of course more difficult to fix.

But why bother with any strutting if it's a roof?

Herringbone strutting is better for stopping joists twisting than solid blocking, though it is of course more difficult to fix.
In my experience you are correct but only if used on I beams
Otherwise Simple noggins are better

@Roger;

With respect, one humbly begs to differ. For an explanation, may one draw your attention to the attached sketch?

Assume we have 7x2 floor joists at 16" centres, with 2x2 strutting nailed tightly between. Over time, the joists will inevitably shrink as the moisture content falls. They will shrink more in the vertical dimension than in the width, as shown by the broken line.

This vertical shrinkage will tend to reduce slightly the angle 'a' between the strut and the horizontal. However, the distance between the centres of the joists - 'x' - remains the same.
This means that the angled strut is being forced into a slightly smaller space. Obviously this will put pressure on the side of the joist, both at the tops and the bottoms. It is this compressive force which tightens up all the joists and enhances their load-sharing capacity.

To achieve the full potential of the strutting, the angled pieces have to be cut accurately to fit flush with the face of the joists.

Conversely, with solid strutting, the joists shrink away slightly from the cut ends of the blocking, meaning that any restraint is only provided by the nails.

LOL

My experience from using the the stuff differs from what you are saying

Theary is all well and good but if it was as good as they try to make it out to be then it would be made common practise to use it rather than noggins.

LOL

Theary is all well and good but if it was as good as they try to make it out to be then it would be made common practise to use it rather than noggins.

Nowadays it's quicker and cheaper to use offcuts as blocking pieces, that's why - just not as effective. The tin things from builder's merchants are not much better.

LOL

I would think the reason that herringbone strutting is not common practice these days is that it is far more time consuming to cut and fit timber herringbone strutting than steel struts or noggins.

Timber struts have to be cut perfectly to do the job correctly, and this means the builder / chippy either has to cut each individually to the correct size, or ensure that the joist spacing is exactly the same every time.

If the cut size of the strut isn't quite right then the ends wont fit flush against the side of the joist so there will still be a risk of twisting.

Noggins are not a requirement for I-beams or any engineered joist. Nor is any form of herringbone strutting.
That's from my experience as a I-beam/open web joist & Roof designer.

Noggins are not a requirement for I-beams or any engineered joist. Nor is any form of herringbone strutting.

Well aware of that LOL and in general i agree but you still use noggins with open web joists.... Hell if you look at the Alpine open web manual it states it in there and even has Pictures :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
(here is a link if you cant be bothered to look http://www.nrtl.co.uk/assets/nrtl_1.pdf)

Several years ago a lot of building control officials and Architects insisted that the Herringbone was used on I beams since then open web has been developed much further and is my preferred method on a new build

And lets not forget about all the times noggins have to be used to catch plaster boards etc etc

Back to the OP
Simple noggins is as good as anything else LOL

Well aware of that LOL and in general i agree but you still use noggins with open web joists.... Hell if you look at the Alpine open web manual it states it in there and even has Pictures :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
(here is a link if you cant be bothered to look http://www.nrtl.co.uk/assets/nrtl_1.pdf)

Several years ago a lot of building control officials and Architects insisted that the Herringbone was used on I beams since then open web has been developed much further and is my preferred method on a new build

And lets not forget about all the times noggins have to be used to catch plaster boards etc etc

Back to the OP
Simple noggins is as good as anything else LOL

That link isnt working for me.
Surprisingly though I am quite familiar with ITW's spacejoists. The only details in their technical guides are for perimeter/partition details.
They are noggins, although not for stopping the twist. :D

use offcuts of new joist nailed in use centre line fix alternate side of line then you can nail easy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back