Hey it's a fused spur question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
I'd like to run a fused spur into the loft space to connect to a Galaxy 8 panel and I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask.

Firstly is this something a DIY'er could do - I'm used to extending the lighting in my house using junction boxes etc.

I have a plug socket on the landing which is a pretty good candidate - I've checked that there's only two cables in the socket so that looks fine. The wall it's on forms the landing and the other side is a wardrobe. What I'd like to do is to run the spur up the inside of the wardrobe (the walls are only plasterboard) to keep it hidden - is this ok? What do I need on the wardrobe side to enclose the wire - just a bit of conduit?

The spur will end in a 3amp box before going to the panel.

Is there anything I've forgotten here?

Thanks for any advice.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Well, sounds pretty good so far Dave - you seem to already have a good idea what you are doing. Its also one of the few things you are 'allowed' to do in terms of additions under Part P. So I am guessing you know how to do the actual wiring.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but Im just checking the wardrobe is fixed, if so this would indeed be an ideal route (remember, Ive seen it all DIY wise!!). I would use trunking with a flat lid rather than conduit, a much neater finish. 25x16 or Marshall Tufflex MT2 ("Other Makes Are Available") would suit your needs, although smaller sizes are available they can be a bit fiddly to fix and it wont be on show anyway.

Make sure you fit a rubber grommet to the existing socket box (if its metal) although once you have checked the power is off, make sure the socket is indeed on a ring and not a double spur by checking for continuity. Although, being a new house I would be very worried if it want a ring circuit.

Dont forget you will need earth sleeving too - tape or bits of old cable sheath just wont do these days (not that they ever did). As a short run fused spur you could use 1.5mm cable, but I would stick to 2.5 anyway.

One thing from experience though, alarm boxes in lofts can be a sod to faultfind on and service - although again maybe your loft has boards and ligthing. But also beware that as it is unheated and uninsulated (in the actual loft space itself) modern lofts can experience wild swings in temperature. I have seen a few panels destroyed by the resulting condensation.

Good luck!

Technically you can not put your alarm panel in the loft, it therefore becomes out side the protected area, also unless you have easy access to the loft, its not a good place to put it

Thanks for the information datadiffusion and breezer.

Ok so the loft isn't the best place for the panel after all - no problem I can put it in the top of the built in wardrobe. Just means less cabling and less up and down the ladder. A bit of a shame as I've just spent part of today putting a light in the loft - oh well it'll come in handy when I need to get the Chrissy decos down :D

Thanks again for your kind help.

Cheers

Dave

Sponsored Links
Yes, never a bad idea to have a loft light so don't feel too bad... Never too late to add one mind, I am adding the first loft light in over 400 years to a property tomorrow!!

Hi folks.
The alarm install is nearly done, just need to fix the fused spur.
The house is newish - built in 1999. Just re-reading the previous replies, how would I check for continuity?

Cheers

Dave

With power OFF (obviously) take both live wires out of the terminal in the socket and measure across them with an ohm meter. To avoid false readings switch off all other sockets (or pull the plugs out) and do the same with fused connection units. You want nothing whatsoever connected to the live wires.

A socket on a ring will show low ohms. If it's an open circuit you are on a spur or your ring is broken. If you don't have a meter you can rig up a bulb and battery. The resistance will be low enough to light the bulb.

OK BAS, you win!

SoulessEye, the battery and bulb trick is great when it's four pm on a Sunday and you want your TV back on by eight. In the long run a meter is a good investment and, at the risk of getting somebody else worked up, so is a neon screwdriver.

Thanks for the advice.
One last thing - I need to terminate the spur in a 3Amp fused box but I can only get a 13Amp. Is it ok to get the 13Amp and put a 3Amp fuse in it?

Cheers

Dave

datadiffusion said:
Yes, never a bad idea to have a loft light so don't feel too bad... Never too late to add one mind, I am adding the first loft light in over 400 years to a property tomorrow!!
B loody Hell ! What's your secret of longetivity ???? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back