hi im new today question about fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there im julie and im new, weve just had new neighbours move in next door , after the poor old man wilf died just before christmas.
and theyve been here about 5 or so weeks and not even said a word to us, weve always been very friendly as a family and got on well with our previous neighbours no problems as such .

but these new people have constantly blanked us , glared at us angrily without a word, they are very young with two young children and i think they rent the house.
subsequently because of the obvious keep away atmosphere they are projecting at us, we have completely lost the nerve to say hello welcome neighbour which we presumed would happen.

but i dont understand why but without even wanting to say a word or even a friendly nod, they are saying sort of that they want to have nothing to do with anybody in our street .

and today they have erected a massive reedy type fence so high that it blocks the garages and everything from our eyeview, it is put against the fence that i presume is theres as it was wilfs our old neighbours.
so now efectively all we can see is this barrier, blocking our view to the garages which constantly are getting vandalised .

is it right to do that , and is it just me or is it a bit anti social to say the least, please can you tell me.

we are buying our home well my dad is , its a bit upsetting to say the least, as we had hoped to get along with the new people, as we had with poor wilf and his wife maisie.
but im in no doubt what they are saying to us and all us neighbours who mostly are nice, and friendly well most of em .

i live with my mum and dad and sister , and like i said had hoped to be on friendly nodding terms at least .
the atmosphere here since they moved in is markedly opressive,
still i suppose what do we do ignore em, and say nothing ever to em, or attempt to make contact .
and i get the feeling it will efect our runner beans wont it which have always been grown up a trellis my dad put in
what do you nice people think
or am i just being over sensitive
julie

Sponsored Links
if its at the rear of the property the maximum for a manufactured fence is around 6x6" or 2 m

if it grows then no real limit but much more than 2

you can get local conditions that overide the 2m general rule so worth checking

It does no harm to say loudly to them "good morning" when you see them in the street, and "Hello there" if they don't reply.

Say it loudly enough that they can't pretend they didn't hear, but not in an aggressive or hostile way. Do this a whenever you pass then in the street. Most people find it difficult to be so rude as not to reply.

It might be they have taken a dislike to you, for example because of barking dog, untidy garden, noisy kids, skin colour, loud music, drunken arguments or something of their own personal taste which I can't guess at.

hi john d thanks for replying, but sorry weve done none of those things.
i dont have a dog but 3 cats ,the gardens not that bad , they are prob more untidy than us lol,theres no kids only adults in our family.
no loud music ever (dont like it loud )
no drunken arguments as none of my family drink,
id have to say i guess absolutely none of the above lol

infact we are fairly quiet people, maybe its because my parents are in their 60s and they are so young the no like older people.
i dont see a reason to dislike us really i dont, even our next door neighbour celia who is a nice lady says what they did is ignorant.

the man next door shouts at his family a lot you cant help hearing it.

thanks for your replies both of you, but i think we are going to just let them be and not bother now to try and say hello.

the man glowers at us like he wants to kill someone or something, which there is a obvious atmosphere i no like coming from them, if you know what i mean, we are nice easy going people , and i think ive lost my nerve to say anything now, they are not giving off good vibes, more like keep away or there will be trouble vibes, if you are sensitive youd know what i mean maybe.
the man is totally creepy , even my mum thinks so, so on the safe side we think we will stay out of it, he shouts at his family.

actually that house next door has never been lucky for young couples, the second and third young people who moved there allways told us , they feel the house does not like them, and wants them out, and both couples ending up arguing with their spouses while there.

so whether its haunted i dont know, there is a roumour that a workman died while making these terraced houses, i was trying to look it up to see if it it is that house or not, ours is ok as far as i know.

maise and wilf before they died had 15 happy years there .

i used to babysit for tina and ron the second couple and like they said , the bedroom her little girl was in felt creepy, as if you were being watched, and i can vouch for that as i used to have to go into that room while babysitting many years ago, and yes indeedy you dont like staying in that room believe me,

so it seems no young couple ever have been happy in that house, and theres been a few of em, so will see if the house likes these new ones or not,
thanks for replies both of you
respects julie

Sponsored Links
[quote="juliepresleyfan";p="899857"

i have never subscribed to the witness protection program either. :eek:

im not quite sure what you mean by thisi am to take that the reply is supposed to be insulting in some way, i hope not as i like to get on with people, so respects to you my friend lol
an update they replied good morning to my dad and thats all , so we accept they dont want to talk
so no problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back