High condesation - UPVC soffits and facias ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like some advice on if I need and therefore who to use, for replacing my soffits and fascias.

I get black mould spots on 2 upstairs bedroom walls and ceilings (north facing) and the bathroom ceiling (south facing).

The current soffits and fascias apparently have an element of asbestos in them.

I have a dehumidifier running upstairs during the day and this keeps the humidity at appx 50-60%, but this increases to 80% when not running.

One of the bedroom windows is always wet with condensation and is fitted with a trickle vent.

The downstairs toilet (directly below the bedroom with the wet windows) also suffers with high condensation (wet toilet cistern and also wet walls) and the window is always slightly ajar.

The property is in Andover, Hampshire, mid terraced and was built in the 1970's.

I had the cavities and loft insulated appx 2 years ago.

The downstairs floors are concrete and the upstairs wooden boards.

The central heating thermostat is set at 20C during the day and 15C during the night.

There are no vents in the upstairs bathroom or downstairs toilet.

Sponsored Links
What has replacing soffits and facias got to do with condensation inside the house?

If you want to solve the condensation problem, then lifestyle changes are required: //www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

If you want new facias/soffits, then get a few quotes from companies in your area, making sure to specify exactly what you want done.

Funniest post I've seen all year. :rolleyes: ;)

flameport";p="2240362 said:
What has replacing soffits and facias got to do with condensation inside the house?

I was told that the loft should be ventilated via the soffits/facias (Anglian Windows) and that this could be the cause of the mould spots on the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
was told that the loft should be ventilated via the soffits/facias (Anglian Windows)

Correct

that this could be the cause of the mould spots on the ceiling

As a secondary reason , possibly, but the primary fault is not venting your shower-room with a sufficiently-sized vent-fan.

Really you should also prevent moist-air from getting into the loft either by using foil-backed platerboard or a vapour-barrier, but that's re-building work.

Do you dry a lot of cloths on radiators ? if so this could be the reason as this can create a lot of moisture in the house and it can turn to condensation on windows and also exterior (cold) walls I see it quite often !

Yes the loft should be ventilated too but only to let the timbers breath and not dry out, A ventilated loft does not make a house more ventilated as minimal air should get in loft from house hence the reason we use insulation in lofts.

as minimal air should get in loft from house hence the reason we use insulation in lofts.

No. Insulation prevents heat-transfer, passage of air needs to be prevented by an impervious physical barrier

as minimal air should get in loft from house hence the reason we use insulation in lofts.

No. Insulation prevents heat-transfer, passage of air needs to be prevented by an impervious physical barrier
I stand corrected although insulation can reduce any air loss in to loft. Any way My main point is house ventilation and loft ventilation are two seperate issues so to the OP "the soffit and fascias are not causing the mould"

In simple term, the more insulated then more ventilation, wasn't like this in the old days, draughty windows, open fireplaces etc. If you put a big plastic bag over your house then you will have condensation problems

Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back