HIGH GAS BILL -IS THIS RELATED TO FAULTY BOILER?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i suspect there is something wrong with my boiler as when switched on i can see my gas meter dial moving round. When the boiler is off it hardly moves at all. The meter moves quickly when the boiler fires up -this happens regularly during the time it is on. My gas bill has been over £800 for the year compared with less than half this amount at my previous property where i had the same appliances and the same amount of radiators - can anyone tell me what could be the problem?

Sponsored Links
Are u having a laugh?
When my car sits in the drive the petrol gauge hardly moves but when I start the engine the gauge moves quickly down.
Can anyone help?
Maybe I should walk more
Pete lol

Look to your insulation, draught-proofing, thermostatic radiator valves, room stat, and keep the internal doors shut when the heating's on.

Sponsored Links
To be serious everything Johnd says plus boilers do not usually overwork except if the heat exchanger is blocked or there is system is sludged up, causing the boiler to work harder to maintain the heat output
Pete

mirandalawson said:
can anyone tell me what could be the problem?

I would suspect it is the fact that gas prices have doubled in the last 12 months or so added to the fact that the boilers are not running at the same energy efficiency ratings and heat / hw load is probably increased.

Is £800 based on an actual meter reading or an estimate?

What other appliances? (cooking?)

[Fluffster]. Funny. lol.

When gas priced have doubled then you can expect bills twice the cost of a year ago !!!

Fossil fuels are running out. What does it take to get the message across?

Have you heard of global warming?

Do you have a 4 x 4 ???

The cost of gas is my guess ;)

The dial will move when gas is being consumed, the boiler needs gas to work and that is why your dial moves when the boiler works!.

why do you think it is faulty?

Agile said:
Fossil fuels are running out.

Only in the places accessible with our current technology. We just need to figure out how to make a slightly bigger drill that goes places our current ones don't, at an acceptable price. Shouldn't take long. In the meantime, prices go up, so we pay more tax.

Agile said:
Have you heard of global warming?

If it gets much warmer, we won't need as much heating and problem solved. lol

If global warming continues the gulf stream that heats our shores will vanish and we we (the UK) will be much colder (check our latitude out) and thus more heating required!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back