High Integrety CU - Internal cabling

In fact, just before the turn of the 1960s our electrical practices were so crude and unsafe that the local council had to send blokes out to sweep the bodies off the streets every week

Sponsored Links
UPDATE - The CU update/replacement didn't go as well, or as quickly, as expected.....

There were no trips due to faults, but it seemed everything was conspiring to slow the job down - my 5 gallon of fermenting wine began to leak, then whilst Avril was washing wine bottles in the utility, the sink overflow came adrift and flooded the sink unit. The existing tails were too short, I bought a pair of 1m long and they also turned out to be too short, and so ended up chasing even longer ones. Then I struggled with all of the MK/Honeywell terminals - I just didn't find them very positive, impossible to find either a straight or cross head driver which properly fitted the terminal screws. The components were numbered right to left, and to add to the confusion - the earth terminals were a few terminals short of the number of ways, the board supported.

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
Hmmm - I suspect that's a new one on a lot of us.
That's a bit of a surprise as they've been around for so long
... so what type of head do the device terminal screws have - and why on earth aren't they a standard type,to correspond with the screwdrivers and bits which most people (I suspect including most electricians) actually have?

I do not know why a dual RCD board is referred to as "High Integrity" !
I don';t think it is - a dual-RCD board is a dual RCD board, and has two neutral bars (one for each RCD).

This extraordinary term "high integrity board/CU' (don't ask me :) ) seems to refer to a board which has two RCDs, but also has provision for a few (often only two) non-RCD circuits - hence three neutral bars.

As it happens, most of thee CUs in my house are these 'high integrity' ones!

Kind Regards, John

Maybe, but what sort of screwdrivers have most people (including electricians0 been using for 'device terminal screws' for all that time?
What a strange question - because you didn't know about them.

I obviously do not know the answer regarding most people - but - I have had them for a very long time.

It seems similar to your view on DIYers not testing their work but that doesn't alter what should be done.

I don';t think it is - a dual-RCD board is a dual RCD board, and has two neutral bars (one for each RCD).

This extraordinary term "high integrity board/CU' (don't ask me :) ) seems to refer to a board which has two RCDs, but also has provision for a few (often only two) non-RCD circuits - hence three neutral bars.

Kind Regards, John

This one has 7 neutral terminals on the none RCD circuits - main neutral in, loops to the two RCD's, 4 available for sub-ciruit use.

Maybe, but what sort of screwdrivers have most people (including electricians0 been using for 'device terminal screws' for all that time?

I have around 200 screwdriver to choose from, straight and various style of crosshead. Nothing I tried worked well, best I could manage was to trap the cables temporarily, until the proper screwdrivers turn up. It seems they have simply changed the screw/driver, for no good reason. My first thought, was that they had designed the screws, so either a straight, or a cross head driver could be used.

Must admit, I have not been involved with any installation of anything in over 20 years.

What a strange question - because you didn't know about them. I obviously do not know the answer regarding most people - but - I have had them for a very long time.
Fair enough - but it doesn't alter thee fact that I have never heard of them, nor any mention of them in discussions (real or 'virtual'),despitee the fact that, even here, there are quite often discussions about 'tools for electricians', and I've never heard them mentioned in any of those discussions. All we generally hear about are "VDE" ones, and they almost invariably come for use with standard slotted and Phillips heads

In any event,m none of this answers my question - if its true that they don't, why on earth are the terminal screws in devices found in CUs etc. not of one of thee ';standard forms'? ...and the other question I asked, if they are not 'one of the standard forms', what are they, and why?
It seems similar to your view on DIYers not testing their work but that doesn't alter what should be done.
I'm afraid that that attempt at an analogy is rather lost on me. It's all very well telling me that I 'should' use the proper screwdrivers, but sisnce I hadn't heard of them, have never previously heard any mention of them and hence didn't know they existed,I've hardly been in a position to put that 'should' into practice!

In any event, if I believed that DIY electrical work should only be done if it weere followed by the same testing that an electrician would (should) undertake, then I don't think I'd bother participating in a 'DIY Electrics' forum, since the only advice I would usually be able to give would be "you shouldn't do it"!

Are you sure?
All those I recall have 3 neutral bars, admittedly one is usually quite small
See above

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough - but it doesn't alter thee fact that I have never heard of them, nor any mention of them in discussions (real or 'virtual'),despitee the fact that, even here, there are quite often discussions about 'tools for electricians', and I've never heard them mentioned in any of those discussions. All we generally hear about are "VDE" ones, and they almost invariably come for use with standard slotted and Phillips heads

I
I have mentioned them a few times :giggle:

I recently sheared my modulo head on my torque driver the maker replaced it free and give me some surprising news relating to modulo head screws in dist boards, if your interested i will try and pm it to you as i dont want to publicly announce it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back