High water pressure/bar

mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've always thought that we had very high water pressure since moving to this house 3 years ago. Anyway recently I measured the bar and it came in at 6.8 bar. I've tested it both downstairs from the washing machine valve, and upstairs by temporarily fitting a valve when I recently replaced a basin. A local plumbing store said 6.8 was not possible and he'd never heard of such high pressure in a consumer premises. Looking back we have had a high number of "leaks" from various taps, valves and fittings intermittently. I just put them down to poor original plumbing. Could it be that we just have too much pressure in the mains for most average fittings? Is 6.8 unusual?

If it requires a pressure reducing valve, should this be placed as close as possible after the stop cock and is it possible to get valves that you can set the reduction to a specific bar?

Sponsored Links
mm said:
Is 6.8 unusual?
Yes, but not unheard of.

mm said:
If it requires a pressure reducing valve, should this be placed as close as possible after the stop cock
Yes.

mm said:
...and is it possible to get valves that you can set the reduction to a specific bar?
Yes.

Ok thanks.
Have you any recommended reducing valve that you know and trust that I should look for?

Caleffi. Available from just about any plumbers' merchant.

£30 to £35 - comes with a gauge that you can either remove or leave in place.

Sponsored Links
I'd put the prv after the tee off to the garden hose!
7-8 bar is common at the bottom of hills, not usually a problem.

ChrisR said:
I'd put the prv after the tee off to the garden hose!
7-8 bar is common at the bottom of hills, not usually a problem.

Good plan chris, at the garden hose you need as much pressure/flow as you can get, not that you should be using it mind :)

We aint got a hose ban here yet.........but my leaking taps are more than enough to water the garden if I open the windows and direct the leak to a suitable angle... :LOL:

Looking at the Caleffi's (seems to be a range called Altecnic that look identical!)..would you go for the 5351 on the basis a filter is a good idea?

My supply is 22mm up until the tank cupboard. We have a BoilermateII thermal store (the problems with that are another story!). Anyway, would the factory 3 bar on the vavle be the setting to leave this at?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back