Hive 2 and glowworm heating problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a new Glow-Worm Ultimate 30c installed in November along side a Hive 2 thermostatic controller which i purchased and had installed by my fitters electrician. Ever since the boiler was installed the heating has not been working as it should.

It can sometimes take up to 90 minutes to come on and other times almost instantly(more often not), whether controlled via the app or controller. As far as i can see everything with the Hive2 is linked up as it should be and working, the reciever near the boiler is clicking on when heating signal is sent from controller.

But when i check the lcd display on the boiler after heating has failed to come on i can see the radiator symbol flashing as it should but the flame symbol has not come on to show heating on. Hot water works fine, flame symbol on and tap symbol flashing?

I called the installer out to show this but heating decided to work as it should that day, he seemed to think it was the froststat that was wired in and he removed this.

Didnt make a difference as heating still takes ages to come on. He also thought that maybe the hive was not wired in correctly, but if it is this why would it work as it should somtimes and take ages to come on at other times?

Any help as to what could be causing this would be greatful from anyone who installs Hive or Glowworm or anyone who has any ideas on how to finally get this heating working as it should please.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Does the top and and bottom green light come on, on the receiver ? if so it sounds like there may be a fault with your boiler itself .

Sponsored Links
Yes, both are on and light up green. Reciever clicks when central heating green light goes on. I think its to do with the boiler too. Will need to contact glow-worm/vailant customer service. Not read good things about them though.

On a Vaillant (same company as Glowworm, but I don't install Glowworms so not an expert) a flashing radiator symbol indicates a heating demand that cannot be addressed by the boiler lighting because there remains a high temperature in the boiler. In other words, it is not shifting the latent heat through the heat exchanger, due to a blockage or valve being closed for instance.

Or it could be in pump overrun mode.

Similarly a solid rad symbol indicates a demand for heat and the boiler will respond by lighting.

Don't know if Glowworm use the same indications.

The Ultimate C is a great boiler except for one thing, it has a filter on the flow directly from the main heat exchanger. Any sludge in the system gets trapped in the boiler, this I'm guessing is your problem. I never fit one without a magnetic filter.

Guessman could this happen even after the system was chemicslly flushed and inhibiter added? Any way to get the it to show error codes or should it show these on lcd display anyway? @simond i check radiator symbol next time hesting actually fires up to see if it stays solid too.

As Simons said, a flashing radiator symbol means the boiler is already at the desired flow temperature or is on anti cycling blocking (this boiler has Vaillant logic). Check the flow temperature is set at 70 degrees and check the flow pipe (left hand pipe) to see if it is hot. If the pipe leaving the boiler is scorching there is a restriction in the pipe work not the boiler.

Another thing to try, read the book on how to get to the D codes and use the password 35. Go to D1 and change it to 2. Then go to D2 and change it to 10. These affect the pump overrun and anti cycling timings, we used to alter these for new build houses with very high insulation. The reason being, the logic does not use a timer but looks for a drop in the return temperature to calculate the blocking time.

Guessman could this happen even after the system was chemicslly flushed and inhibiter added? Any way to get the it to show error codes or should it show these on lcd display anyway? @simond i check radiator symbol next time hesting actually fires up to see if it stays solid too.

To answer your question yes. There may be a lump of sludge that the flush didn't manage to shift, it happens and is not the installers fault, it just happens sometimes. The other reason, which is the installers fault, is if the system is flushed through the boiler.

Also, a chemical flush is almost useless on a dirty system. That's why we struggle round with powerflush machines and vibracleans.

"As Simons said, a flashing radiator symbol means the boiler is already at the desired flow temperature or is on anti cycling blocking (this boiler has Vaillant logic)."

Heating has not long come on, it has the radiator symbol flashing and flame symbol on. Although even if the heating has been off all day and then put on at night radiator symbol flashes.

"Check the flow temperature is set at 70 degrees and check the flow pipe (left hand pipe) to see if it is hot. If the pipe leaving the boiler is scorching there is a restriction in the pipe work not the boiler."

Is this the temperature that can be seen on lcd when heating is on? Checked that pipe, last one on left that goes to radiators? And it was scorching hot.

"Another thing to try, read the book on how to get to the D codes and use the password 35. Go to D1 and change it to 2. Then go to D2 and change it to 10. These affect the pump overrun and anti cycling timings, we used to alter these for new build houses with very high insulation. The reason being, the logic does not use a timer but looks for a drop in the return temperature to calculate the blocking time.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/hive-2-and-glowworm-heating-problems.450235/#ixzz3wXjxceBc"

Will try this when get back from work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back